Inspiration from Oblivion

heni30

OBLIVION2_zpsac01bc6a.jpg50002If you haven't already, y'all HAVE to see the movie OBLIVION with Tom Cruise. Futuristic architecture, both modern and grunge, space crafts, robots, drones; all exquisitely designed and rendered. All very sophisticated and intelligent.

A tonal and lighting palette to die for. I ran it thru a second time just for the visuals.

Every frame will leave you drooling.

OBLIVION_zps642f077e.jpg

Edited by heni30

I almost agree with you about the film as far as a film plot goes. What would you consider that is better as far as visual effects/mechanical design goes?

It's true that his weapon (seen above) doesn't look very threatening but I thought the drones were excellent.

Edited by heni30

I disagree I thought the film was good although the ideas in it have been explored by other films many times, the designs and environments are what sold me on it. This director also did Tron Legacy and was once in architecture so he has a very unique perspective that lends it's self to creating beautiful environments.

I disagree I thought the film was good although the ideas in it have been explored by other films many times, the designs and environments are what sold me on it. This director also did Tron Legacy and was once in architecture so he has a very unique perspective that lends it's self to creating beautiful environments.

I see you're a sci-fi buff from the posters you put in your kids bedroom rendering. I can hardly wait for Elysium done by the same director who did District 9 - but this time with a 10x budget.

Edited by heni30

I saw both movies Elysium and this one Oblivion I like them both, I am a SCI-FI fan, that's for sure, but I don't think these movies are great, I think they are pretty good movies, good for what they are, maybe the criticism on them are because we as a public are very hungry for something Fresh and revealing, a la Start Wars on its time, or Jurasic park, The Matrix, even the same Tron, something that was new and original. We all now have a dark view or the future with all these movies, thank to Blade Runner (one of my favorites BTW) so we feel familiar with all these new SCI-Fi movies.

Design wise Oblivion was great, I really like the house as stage, it was a very strong message a la 2001 clean neat efficient place to live, robots and weapons in the same style. It is actually funny to me that George mentioned that the weapons didn't look "threatening", to me they look great, it supposed to be high technology, no need of tricks and patches, pure efficiency, very stylize design but when you pull the trigger you got a very intensive and round of bullets, even the sound was high speed. pretty good.

I agree with Francisco. I really like the way Kosinski's films look (I remember watching Mezzo and Leap at least a couple of times a day for a while... Cigarette commercials, so he's taken them off his site) and I think Daniel Simon is a pretty talented chap, so I had high expectations, but the story reminded me of Moon and Wall-E. With a bit of Independence Day at the end, etc etc.

There are some great concepts here:

http://www.thomlab.com/Oblivion.htm

http://andreewallin.com/oblivion