GPU compatible with vray sketchup?

Hi guys, im waiting for the new v-ray 2.0 version for sketchup8 and can see its made compatible with the GPU for other programmes but cant find anything to assure me it will do the same for sketchup8? I have a very good graphics card that cost me a bomb but unfortunately im using v-ray 1.49 at the moment and thats not GPU compatible. So does anyone know anything about the new v-ray 2.0?

Many thanks

Jack

but then I found this, suggesting that GPU is already running on 3ds max -

http://www.chaosgroup.com/en/2/vray2.html

So is this saying that other prgrammes are compatible but SKETCHUP8 just isnt.? if this is the case ill have no choice but to switch. I cant just have a graphics card and not use it. its silly. I need to be using my pc to its optimum level ideally. Does anyone have any suggestions?

SketchUp 8 is STILL a 32-bit program. Many of the problems people run into with VRAY for SketchUp are directly related to the memory limitations inherent in the 32-bit architecture. GPU rendering might not be a top priority considering that limitation?

Was GPU rendering available on 32-bit 3DS Max / VRAY?

This is really a question for the developers. As for moving to Max, it depends on how highly you prioritize GPU rendering. In the plus column, you have immediate access to two GPU renderer options (Vray RT-GPU and iray). On the other, you have to pay for, and learn, and adapt your workflow to, new software. So it's really your business decision. Keep in mind that just having this capability doesn't mean all your render jobs are automatically sped up. To use the GPU in Vray you need to be using the RT render engine, not the Vray production renderer. It doesn't have the full Vray feature set and it has its own set of limitations, so look at that and familiarize yourself with it first.

thank you thats a very helpful answer. There is a lot to think about. Im very used to sketchup and vray and have found my own style and work path so changing would be a hinderance.. I have been speaking to a friend and he recommends I sell my GPU and upgrade my ram. He builds PC's for a living which is great, but his knowledge on how these programmes specifically run is as expected, not as acute. Can anyone advise me how I would ideally speed up my render times? im running 1600ghz 16gb ram and an i7k processor. Its not slow in anyway but i would like faster times.

suggestions?

Ram speed is almost irrelevant once you get to 1600/1866 speeds. That's not your bottleneck.

Also, how much RAM VRay needs rendering your scenes, is easy to check. There will be no performance increase going to 32GB if you are not using more than (say) 6-7GBs (which is typical).

To get better speed in rendering you have a few options:

• Get a faster CPU: probably a 3930K/4930K (6 cores, no real performance benefit to get another Quad). You can get almost 50% performance increase.

• Overclock your CPU (the current one or any future one). This can be a 20~25% increase in some cases (with heavy overclocking).

• Get a 2P system (i.e. 2x Xeons) - probably the most expensive option, and only worths it over an overclocked i7-6 core if you go dual 8C/16T Xeons, which usually run for $1500~1900 each + a pricey mobo. 1P Xeons do not worth it in my opinion.

• Distributed rendering: Vray for SU supports DR for up to 10 machines rendering simultaneously. This is easily the most efficient way to increase speed (after overclocking). You can build a FX 8350 based 16GB RAM rendering node with $500~600 that will more than double your rendering speed. 3x such nodes, will match or surpass the speed of a 2P Xeon with top-of-the-line CPUs 8-core SB-E CPUs (around $1950 each) for less than what a single E5 8 core costs.

Ofc your GPU has almost nothing to do with Vray performance. Why selling it would be a thing to do?

Which one is it? You think it is overpowered/underpowered for your viewports?

Edited by dtolios

Thanks for your reply. My reasoning behind selling my gpu is that it has no use at the moment as vray sketchup is not compatible. My machine is just used for business so at the moment I have a 670nvidia grapgics card that is just sitting there. Im thinking selling that would help me fund a new component to help me speed things up. Id rather upgrade my system than change programmes but have the gpu that is just sitting in my tower case not being used. Ahah decisions!

Well, the 670 is a solid card, but not impressive for the price in OpenGL viewports like Sketchup.

You could sell it, but expect a loss as already the 760 is matching it in speed (games) and sells for much less than what the 670 was selling at.

Most mid-range 7xxx Radeons will do a better job in sketchup than the 670, and if you want a low power card, a Quadro K600 should also do just fine.

Well, you do need some sort of GPU in there to run the viewports on the monitor. If the 670 is an extra that's not in use, that's $200-300 on eBay, but if you need it to run your monitor, there isn't really anything to be gained by selling it to get a less powerful one.

Are you running out of RAM? You already have 16GB, which is pretty good, and as Dimitris said you won't see any advantages if you buy higher spec RAM. With these recent generation i7 systems the front side bus speed (and hence the RAM speed) is hard-locked and buying faster RAM than needed doesn't change anything. Faster RAM was useful on older systems as part of an overclocking scheme.

Ok, Im beginning to understand... the 670 card is my only card and it runs all my monitors, so ill keep it. My processor is an intel core i7k 3.5ghz and I have 1600ghz 16gb ram and no im not running out of ram, jsut my renders could do with speeding up. So the options dimitris has suggested are quite interesting. Id like to somehow enhance my render speed, I like the sound of some of those suggestions.

Really the only way for you to speed up renders would be to add more CPU power, and since you've got a fast 4-core already (I'm assuming that's a 4-core i7) you'd need to do so by trading out your PC for one with more cores, or by adding more PCs that would function as render nodes (see the Vray documentation for info on setting up distributed rendering).

I do like the idea of distribution rendering. Can the additional computers be of a lower powered level than my current system or would all additional computers need to match the power of the current system? My friend has told me I cpuld easily overclock my cpu from 3.5 to 4.5ghz. So that should give me 20-25% extra power if I read correctly above? If I could set up some smaller pc's that were relatively cheap this could be an option.

The other PCs can really be anything, so long as each one is good enough to be able to run Vray.

That much overclock is certainly possible with the recent generations of i7k chips. Just be careful and monitor the temperature. The more you overclock, the more heat the CPU generates. Making an ambitious overclock work without generating enough heat to damage the components may require an upgraded cooling system. One option is replacing the stock CPU heatsink/fan assembly with something larger (and there are web sites that review the options and give details on how much improvement to expect) and possibly replacing case fans with better ones. Another is to go with a liquid cooling system. There are some good self-contained ones available now that have a piece that replaces the heatsink, a pump, tubing and a radiator that goes on the outside of the case.

My set up is new. Its all custom parts so it has been built specifically with rendering in mind. My pc runs at 23 degrees at the current 3.5ghz so I assume 4.5 will be ample. Thanks for everyones replies. I will look into distribution rendering once I have overclocked my system and ill be sure to keep you all in the loop.

Thanks again guys. Ive learnt a lot today!

Another question..

If I was going to go down the distribution rendering path what do u think is a suitable number? Of course taking into consideration expenses.

There is no "recommended" # of rendering nodes...the more the merrier ofc, but it boils down to budget and space restrictions.

And ofc if you have one Vray licence, the hard cap of 10x machines in the distributed rendering chain, so - 9 nodes + your workstation. ;)