New Licensing Product Rentals from Autodesk

Scott Schroeder

http://news.autodesk.com/press-release/archived/autodesk-delivers-more-flexible-pay-you-go-access-design-engineering-and-ente

Came across this from the Chaos Group thread about the new Vray per-node licensing. It seems like Autodesk is going the route of Adobe now. If it is on par with Abobe's pricing, it could be something refreshing from them for once.

EDIT: Pricing options..... http://www.autodesk.com/buy/us-prices

However it should be noted, if you are on subscription and you want to buy a perpetual license. You have to buy a whole new license. You cannot convert your subscription over to perpetual and you won't receive any credit for currently paid money for that term.

So is the perpetual license a lifetime license for a one time fee? I think it's a step in the right direction, but what Adobe Creative Cloud really has going for it is access to the entire range of Adobe products for a single rate.

I think the perpetual license is the same as the subscription is now. Where even if you cancel, you can still access your software. However, I still think the perpetual still carries a yearly or multi-year fee. Which, why even buy it?

The only 2 advantages are that if you cancel you can still use the software and you don't have to register that copy of the software to a specific person as the rental plan.

Edited by VelvetElvis

The perpetual price looks like the current price - so that they're adding the term licenses but (currently) not changing the regular licenses.

There's a lot of movement towards "rental" software these days. I think it must have something to do with the panic set off by the European UsedSoft case.

From what I can see it won't affect "subscription" users, every 12 months you pay the subscription and you get access to the latest software.

The new pricing is for rental, where there is no initial cost, but a continuous renewal of the fee is needed for the software to work. I think this structure is for when studios need an additional seat for a short period and don't want to buy a full license.

I think it's quite different from Adobe, their CC is the only way to go, and is priced accordingly, AD's rental is totally different.