Deadbeat client

M V

This discussion has come up a lot on these forums and even being as cautious as I usually am, have fallen victim to a deadbeat client. He has taken sample drafts and posted them to his website and refuses to answer emails and his phone numbers are all dead. I spoke to another illustrator yesterday who also worked with him and had the same issue. Because he vanished in the earlier phase of the project, he really only owes me a few hundred bucks. Should I just take this as stupid tax for sending him unmarked samples or would you pursue collections?

I've tried to contact the admin for his website but the name and number look like a fake.

I would go after them. Even a few hundred bucks is money being stolen from you. You should be able to file for any cost associated with going after them as additional money they owe you.

The reason why the deadbeat client keeps doing it is that no one goes after them. Stand up and fight back. They have a physical address right?

I just filled out a form through their web host for violation against copyrights, as I retain them until fully paid. The funny thing is when I Google this person's name, the first thing to pop up is a mug shot of them. Guess I should have done that before agreeing to work for them.

When you are a small single-person or few-person business, you cannot afford to get taken advantage of, and the fact is that crooks aren't likely to start contracting work with large corporations.

Therefore, no check, no work. Don't start work without a deposit - if someone doesn't want to give you a deposit, that should be a red-flag right there. And unless I know you from grade-school, and know your family, and know where you live, the watermark comes off only after the check is in my hands. :D (I even put a big light gray IN PROGRESS on CD's, until they're paid for, period - I'm not an investment bank and I don't finance other people' ventures).

Someone tried the "well the client didn't pay me so I can't pay you" bs on me once on an $11,000 monthly invoice, and I can assure you, he paid me, in full.

I have found, in 30-years of working, that when people hesitate to pay a deposit, they will hesitate to pay you at all.

Once I know you are honest, I will do whatever I can to help you - even a free project if I have to -- but it will never be free just cause you think you're the next Donald Trump! :D

Edited by karlar