Looking for some guidance

helnash

Hi There

I haven't been on here as much as I would have liked, and to be truly honest I have been losing a fair bit of faith that I have in whether I can do this work. I feel comfortable with 3D modelling capable of texturing and have no problems when it comes to 2D and detailing work. I have been applying for work for some time now and have lost count of the amount of Jobs I have applied for, but I haven't heard anything back from anywhere. :(

I was hoping someone could be kind enough to give me some pointers on what I am doing wrong, I have no problem with hash crits as long as they are constructive (trust me I can take getting a bollocking if needs be when it comes to my work :D)

This is a link to my portfolio http://hel_nash.dunked.com/

I would be much appreciated for any feedback

Thank you

Hel Nash

What's your educational background? architecture, graphics, etc? If you're looking at archviz firms, that would be tough to get into with your portfolio. If you're looking at arch'l firms- they're more inclined to hire arch grads. With regards to your portfolio, there's just very limited samples. And from what you show- texturing, lighting, compositing can be improved on. Good luck.

Helen,

You certainly do have what it takes, but the economy isn't what it used to be. Lots of companies market themselves as having more work than they know what to do with, but that is marketing...

There are thousands of people over the entire planet trying to mimic the capabilities of Industrial Light and Magic and/or Pixar by producing that "animated movie" look to architectural illustrations, on a workstation, and none too many of them are buried in work!

Do what looks good to your eye, not what everyone else is doing (especially if they are seeking work too!:D), and stick with it! Your stuff looks very good - you certainly have the modeling and technical skills and your materials and lighting look great!

Lastly, I was a consulting project architect and was in the business for almost 30-years (I started as a draftsman when AutoCAD was in its infancy - R2.2), and I just got my GED 2-years ago, so anyone that doesn't want to hire you because you may lack a degree is cutting their nose off to spite their face and is missing out on a valuable team member. Do not let them deter you.

PS. I also started college two years ago and have a 3.8 GPA with perfect A's in all my math classes -- something all those people over the years that were hysterical because I didn't have a degree (and would have had a cow had they known I didn't graduate HS (hey, they didn't ask)) couldn't do if they wanted to! The 3.8 GPA is the result of my refusal to answer some social indoctrination questions on a psychology final :D but I got perfect A's for the entire class!

Sometimes you have to make a stand! :D

Edited by karlar

The biggest thing about your work is that you need to get motivated to sell yourself. There is no excuse for having so few samples. And for having them look so plain. There are thousands of samples on this forum that you can look at and compare to your work to see what's missing in post. plus tutorials are everywhere.

You can buy whole scenes and set them up and render them.

Your work is very competent but you have to take it to the next "artistic" level. There's no quick way to do this. You just have to hunt down tutorials and spend all the hours necessary to learn techniques to achieve what you like in other renderings.

If you can't get a building rendering that really blows you away and put it next to yours and examine both carefully and see and understand the differences, then you are in trouble.

On your website, I wouldn't put "personal" for the client. If that's the case just leave it out. List past employers if you've had some.

Read bios from other websites and look at the approaches that appeal to you. Shouldn't be too rambling or personal. Keep stressing what you can do for the client.

List your skills objectively instead of saying you're learning. Your skill level will be discussed on a job application or interview.

You don't want to come across lacking confidence.

You website is nice and very clearly organized. Although it becomes clear that you don't have too many samples. That throws up a red flag that maybe you spent months perfecting the samples and you really can't produce work like that in a production environment.

So I would say, more samples, look at good work that you like and trying to figure out what it is that you like about it and set out to learn how to it yourself.

I have to respectfully disagree with George on a few things -- I would rather see a few very well done samples rather than lots of less-than-your-best samples, and the number of samples should only be important relative to how long you have been doing the work. Someone with 10-years experience should have more samples than someone with 2-years experience...

Also, I would want to see models you worked up from scratch so that I could assess your modeling skills, and how well you comprehend architecture and what really is important to portray and what is not. So rendering models you downloaded from the internet would only give me a clue as to a portion of your skills.

Lastly - I wish I had a nickel for all the people I met in my 30-years of work that sold-themselves really good, but I had to let go :D.

If you were my best friend, and asked me, I would tell you the most import thing to be, is to be yourself!

AND PLEASE - not matter what you do, do NOT produce another 'modern white box' interior with a wood floor and black or white & chrome furniture - I think my eyes will catch on fire if I have to look at one more of those! :D

Edited by karlar

First of all, thank you all for replying to my post, your time is most definitely appreciated.

I absolutely agree that I need to get more work in my portfolio, I am working on a couple of projects that hopefully over the next couple of weeks I will get finished and these should with any luck show the recent progression I have made with my texturing and lighting.

@Dan Norfolk: Basically, I have a diploma in 3D Design (which is also where I attained my qualifications in AutoCAD), a BA(Hons) Architectural Venue Design and then went on to study for MSc Sustainable Architecture and Healthy Buildings (but due to relocation I was unable to finish the second year :()

At the moment I am applying for anything that is requesting knowledge of 3Ds Max, Revit etc, Junior level obviously as I know I still have skills that need honing, I have plenty to offer, (but then again every potential employee says that), just keeping my fingers crossed that I will get the opportunity to prove what I say.

@Ismael Orozco: Thank you for pointing out Juraj Talcik's work, not bad... not bad at all,some really nice work there and it's great to see his progression from when he first started using Marvellous Designer to his later work with it, very nice.

@Karl Larsen: I agree it is tough out there, but I think that's what makes it all the well worth fighting for, if something is easy it's just not as much fun. I know there are areas that I need to work on in my projects, I have just become very unsure of if I have the base level strong enough to build on and I guess compete with people just out of uni all bright-eyed and bushy tailed. Thank you for your encouragement. :)

@George Sandoval: Just wondering if you could expand on the plain aspect, I know my work is missing a certain something but where I have been staring at it for so long kinda get lost, can't see the wood for the trees if you get what I mean, a fresh pair of eyes is always welcome. I definitely feel that I have hit a plateau in my work, it's why I posted this up, to get that boot up the proverbial.

I do study others work, The Third & The Seventh by Alex Roman is one of my grail works, I'm so far from that level though, but the dream has got to start somewhere :)

I also look at using scenes that I haven't done myself, however I will only use these as lighting and render set ups to teach myself, or if I am having trouble modeling an object I will purchase/find a file of it a and study it until I can replicate it myself, but I won't add these to my portfolio.

I've also had another look through my site with what you said in mind and I see what you mean, over the next few days I will make some changes and re-writes, thank you.

@Karl Larsen: I have the same opinion when it comes to selecting what projects to show, I have plenty of projects that I have completed but I will not add them as I just can't add work for the sake of having a full looking portfolio, I will add work that I feel is showcasing my skills at their current level, but everything else is purely for my eyes only, unless I go back and rework it and it comes out better, then it may see the light of day.

I have also noticed the rise in the 'modern white box' and there is definitely getting to be to many of them, although saying that, I am in the process of making triplet interior spaces in block colour for each one, so that my material definitions and lighting is what will sell the story of them, however these may not make it to my portfolio, just depends on how well they turn out.

Thanks again for your responses

Hel Nash

To be very honest, right now, you fall into the category of, A Dime for a Dozen. Many students with arch degrees are getting out of school with the same abilities you are demonstrating in your portfolio. I agree with the above that you need to really sell what YOU bring to the table. Anyone with basic knowledge can download some models from the web and render them, but most of those people don't have an artist eye or a good sense for design. These are skills and they that can't be downloaded and these are the things that will land you interviews. A well designed website for 10 breathtaking renders is all you should need. Animation work is a real plus, so having a demo reel with some motion would really set you apart.

Hey Hel,

By plain I mean adding entourage cars, people, glows, glares, flares, etc. If something is too perfect I think it ends up being sterile and lifeless.

I do these silly little shops and my favorite Photoshop tool is the dodge tool. I tend to go overboard I think.

Your sky looks bland, which is easily fixed.

Your tones look too uniform. Almost all tones are gradated in reality. You can exaggerate this in photoshop.

City Wings.jpg

Break up the perfectness of what the computer spits out.

As someone who is currently looking to hire more visualizers I can say that your portfolio is just like the 25 I just went through this morning. It's okay, but certainly not to the level I am looking for. You really need to stand out above the rest.

A few tips:

1. In your interior scene with the cow-chair, your scale is way off. That chair looks like it is for giants, yet you have these wee shelves and mini floor boards. If you have a portfolio piece, make sure it 100% correct. You might have everything correctly scaled, but the way it is portrayed in the render it throws it off.

2. Your exterior building scene has issues with perspective lines. Your building has a slight bow to it, almost a fisheye effect.

3. Unless your WIP's are awesome, leave them off. Especially if I check back in a few weeks and you have the same WIP image. It shows me you aren't working.

For your portfolio you need to make sure you aren't doing what everyone else is doing. You also need to keep it simple, yet show your skills. There is a fine line with just a few great samples. It makes me wonder if you are either a slow worker or that's the only scene you can do. However, it is far better to have 2-3 knock my socks off samples that 15 just so-so samples. I'd at least give you a call back on the 2-3 great ones and see where you are skills wise.

All of your images are decent, but everyone of them has the potential to be great if you just fix a few things. You show a solid understanding of the core skills needed, now is just the time to refine them.

Some general resume and portfolios tips:

http://www.jonjones.com/2013/06/25/resume-and-portfolio-tips-twitterblast/

http://www.noahbradley.com/blog/2011/i-hate-your-portfolio/

Everything looks quite fine in my opinion, true professional work. I'm pretty new to CG so I don't have enough experience etc, but I think there is always a good idea to model "little things" with a little affection

:). I'm thinking about books here, I'm not sure but they look kind of flat (I'm thinking about those in the foreground, most important ones). What about modeling every book separately, with random size and rotation ? Just search "book cover" in Google Image and there is tons of good book covers ready to use.

BTW (little off-top question): How big is the post threshold to make my own threads on this forum (without waiting for moderators approval) ?

Edit: I've edited post and something happened with the text display ? Or maybe this is just me...

Edited by marekpicheta

The flat-out best person I ever hired (back when I used to be in a position to hire folks) was right out of ITT Tech, and did NOT have the "experience", or the "resume", but he had the right stuff - a will-do attitude, and it was obvious he was willing to out work anyone in order to learn, and become valuable. Uppity-ups were against hiring him because he had no experience and wasn't an architect, but I stood my ground and they went along with it, with the understanding that my neck was on the line if he failed.

He's still at that firm - he's a Project Manager now. Former big-wigs at the firm, that either left or were fired, begged him to come work for them. He was wiser!

In my humble opinion, the right attitude is the most important characteristic - I can teach anyone what they need to know very quickly, if they have that right attitude!

Edited by karlar

I'm glad I didn't send you mine Mr. Elvis :D

But, no one alive will out work me!

As someone who is currently looking to hire more visualizers I can say that your portfolio is just like the 25 I just went through this morning. It's okay, but certainly not to the level I am looking for. You really need to stand out above the rest.

A few tips:

1. In your interior scene with the cow-chair, your scale is way off. That chair looks like it is for giants, yet you have these wee shelves and mini floor boards. If you have a portfolio piece, make sure it 100% correct. You might have everything correctly scaled, but the way it is portrayed in the render it throws it off.

2. Your exterior building scene has issues with perspective lines. Your building has a slight bow to it, almost a fisheye effect.

3. Unless your WIP's are awesome, leave them off. Especially if I check back in a few weeks and you have the same WIP image. It shows me you aren't working.

For your portfolio you need to make sure you aren't doing what everyone else is doing. You also need to keep it simple, yet show your skills. There is a fine line with just a few great samples. It makes me wonder if you are either a slow worker or that's the only scene you can do. However, it is far better to have 2-3 knock my socks off samples that 15 just so-so samples. I'd at least give you a call back on the 2-3 great ones and see where you are skills wise.

All of your images are decent, but everyone of them has the potential to be great if you just fix a few things. You show a solid understanding of the core skills needed, now is just the time to refine them.

Some general resume and portfolios tips:

http://www.jonjones.com/2013/06/25/resume-and-portfolio-tips-twitterblast/

http://www.noahbradley.com/blog/2011/i-hate-your-portfolio/

Yes, being a hard worker is indeed key above most skills employers look for. But so is knowing certain visual fundamentals. Most architects have solid architectural backgrounds, but absolutely atrocious skills when it comes to composition, balance, color theory, etc. The structure or space is the hero object of your scene. Yet everything else around it, that all too often is neglected, plays an equally important supporting role. The best viz pieces we drool over, everything in the scene down to the smallest detail works in harmony with the large hero pieces. It's like hiring the best actor in the world but their supporting cast is a bunch of mutes or people who have never acted. By proxy, that great actor is going to look campy and poorly thought out. It would be cool to see Geoffrey Rush in Sharknado 2, but he wouldn't fit.

I've seen too many great looking models ruined with things like;

shoddy lighting

a 200 pixel tree scaled up 4000%

people that make no sense

mis-matched lighting on people where putting clearly sunlit people in interior scenes and trying to level adjust them so they look like they are in shade and instead getting a person who looks like they are a horrible burn victim

motion blurring people or cars because some other guy did it

and the list goes on.

Not once did that person ask themselves why? Why am I motion blurring this person? Does it make sense to blur them as if they are running through the scene at the speed of light? If you can't answer why, then leave that object out. And like you tell your child, "Because isn't a valid answer."

You can be the most enthusiastic worker in the wold, but I also need someone who can start cranking out renders within a week or 2 of hire. Not only start working on renders, but work efficiently and effectively. You shouldn't have to go days with no sleep to create an image that it would take another artist a few normal 8 hour days to do. I don't like hiring people who live at the office. I want to hire someone who works to live, not lives to work. Yes, crunch times are inevitable. However, that shouldn't be your daily mode of work. At some point you need to back up that hard work with actual skill.

The other thing to keep in mind is that due to the economic uncertainty of the last few years there is going to be a lot of extremely talented artists looking for work.

I'm not going to BS the OP in saying that I would hire them or their work looks top notch. However I will tell them exactly what I see that is preventing me for making that decision so they can better themselves. Again, a lot of it is just the little overlooked stuff.

I've shared this quote before from another artist on another forum but it is fitting for this,

"I don't remember people who treated me nicely, told me my work was great, coddled me and told me everything’s ok (except my mom! of course). I remember the people that took me to heightened peaks of emotional state - and encouraged me to fly on my own. People that gave me bloody knees, got my hands dirty, encouraged me to take a plunge into the unknown and abandon my fears. Those people made me a much stronger person. And that kind of person, is who I would like to be for others if they need it – because that’s all I know, that’s what worked for me and I try to share that."

Actually, I remember, vividly, all the people that treated me harshly -- typically when that happened, I would do whatever I had to, to do what they said I wasn't so good at doing -- exceed their expectations -- and then go work for someone else :D

I remember when I was young and just starting out and I had been tasked with going to as-built and inventory a 4-story office building in White Plains NY. After 4-days of measuring, sketching, photographing (back then it was still 35MM film), and listing & tagging desks, chairs, file cabinets and credenzas, and making sure I got every piece of info you could possibly need, I came back to the office pretty sure I did good and on Friday AM I informed the lead architect that I was finished doing the survey...

He smiled, lit one of his Camel cigarettes (you could actually smoke in an office back in them days), took a gulp of his black coffee, and with a wry look on his face he looked at me and asked "did you get the sprinkler heads?"...

I was freaked - no one ever told me to get the sprinkler heads, and I had to go back the following Monday and get em - which I did.

He didn't fire me or call me names for screwing-up or get mad at me for being inexperienced -- he taught me a lesson I never forgot, -- more important, he knew he was teaching me the lesson before it even happened, and in doing so, turned me into a much better team asset! I never missed anything on a site survey, ever, again. We worked together for almost 5-years.

And, the amazing thing about this kind of wisdom is, that it happened in NYC... Sadly I must confess that I have seen very little of that kind of foresight since leaving that firm.

That guy is responsible for teaching me more critical skills, than anyone I ever worked for. 20-years later when I started making more bank than I ever thought I would, I called him to thank him for what he taught me. A colleague told me that phone call really made his day!

I respect that every business has a bottom line, but I believe that the world would start being a little bit better place if, when we hire someone, we hire someone that can help us, but we remember to hire someone we can help.

Edited by karlar

I think most have being said, and quite good. My little grain of salt could be some specifics...:

- I think at this point the skill you need to get for a dramatical improvement in your work is some Photoshop Post-Production...And that is something you can learn kind of fast, or at least faster than many of the other skills that you need improvement on (Not like a pro, tjat would take time, but anyways, i think you can get some skills in that pretty quick). Specifically, i think your exterior images, and any exterior images overall, improve a lot by using some good Backgrounds / Skys. Start with that in photoshop.... Then, do some Levels, Color adjustments to it and to the rendering so they match in a good way . I recommend you practice the DODGE/BURN Tool, that gives good results. Perhaps look out for some Postproduction tutorials and take it from there. You dont have to render anything again if you use your examples that you showned us.

- People: start with few or not at all, until you get the right skillss. People give sense of scale, and if you dont get it right, everything looks odd. Also have in mind the light source of the people on the photographs that you will "cut". They have to match the light source of your rendering, or well at least come from the same side. Also do some color correction and levels in PS. Have in mind that you should put people that gets hit by direct sun light in an area of your rendering that gets also direct sunlight, and the same goes for indirect sunlight, or diffuse light that happens on an covered or shadowed area of your renderings, or when the general illumination comes from a "cloudy" sky...

- Trees and vegetation: Start practicing with 3D models. I believe you will get much better results with 3D models of trees and plants than using photos. At least at the level that you are in. These is because in this way the 3d models will get the same kind of lighting as the rest of the architecture, and also the scale will be correct.

I believe some Books can be of very good help to you. A few weeks i started a couple of THREADS on this subject and i got very good advice. take a look at them:

Best 3ds Max Books for Architectural Vis?

http://forums.cgarchitect.com/74434-best-3ds-max-books-architectural-vis.html

Best VRAY Books for Architectural Vis?

http://forums.cgarchitect.com/74435-best-vray-books-architectural-vis.html

And as a final tought, take a GOOD and DETAILED LOOK at good Architectural photographers, and well also try to follow the bests Arch Viz guys out there. Silly enough, I find facebook is a good way to keep up to date with all these Arch Viz World... You can see new stuff coming out, and engage in comments with other people in this industry.

Good luck, and remember the post-production advice.. try it during these week, and if you want show us a new example with that next week and we can take it from there again.

EDIT: Take a look at this guy, he has very good tips on Photoshops taks for Arch Viz http://www.alexhogrefe.com/

Edited by unrinoceronte
added a link

Wow, I'm away from the computer for a day and half and I come back to a mass of immense responses (my husband's in the middle of an art test at the moment so have just jumped on while he is taking a lunch break)

Just a quick reply for now and I'll respond properly later. Thank you for taking the time to crit my work this feedback is invaluable to me, and there is already so much information for me to work with here, I will try and implement it with my current portfolio work, but I will more than likely use it in the current pieces I am working on at the moment, that will replace the current portfolio.

Anyway I had best leave it there for now and let my hubby get back on with his stuff.

Thank you again so much :D

Cheers

Hel