Wish list

Guest dialog

Ok, this is a hypothetical post for a dream wishlist of hardware and software.

I am curious as to see what plug-ins are MUST HAVES, and then aside from that a WISH LIST that if money was no object and you wanted to compete with the biggest and best 3D Visualization firms what the software, plugins, hardware and any other cool toys like the Freefly systems or film capture, 360 HDRI capture or anything else you can think of. Include computer specs if you like, or discussions on the new NVIDIA K6000...

Totally hypothetical and just a post to create some discussion...

Getting seriously more into 3D Scanning. HUGE fan of infinite-realities ( http://ir-ltd.net/ ), but any sort of this work takes too much time, patience and great up-front investment, those DSLRs cost leg and this guy has 150+ of them :- ).

3D scanning will get big pretty soon, so will Virtual reality, time to prepare well !

Current dream gadgets though : 4k monitors (even the Asus 32"), new 12core IvyBridge Xeons, Oculus RIFT, etc.

Definitely digging the laser scanning as well as getting LiDAR data in for city scanning. I'd also like to invest in a small green screen studio as most of our projects require people to be in a certain team's sports gear and that can often be hard to find using zee Google.

Outside of plug-ins, I'd like the money to invest in a proper pipeline as well as the time to actually plan out projects. Our current projects run on panic and extreme panic mode.

I am curious as to see what plug-ins are MUST HAVES, ... to compete with the biggest and best 3D Visualization firms....

If you think all it takes is a shopping list for plug-ins and gadgets, you might as well toss your money into the wind.

Hardware/software will only last you about 3 years regardless of the application of the tech so keep that in mind and work on developing a dream organization and pipeline instead that is 'tool-neutral'. It will serve you better in the long run. That's a far more interesting discussion than a 'my hammer is better than your hammer' one that threads like this usually devolve into.