System upgrade for high-res rendering. SSD or RAM or both of them?

Hi

My job is high-res rendering with vray and 3dsmax. for example 10000*6000 pixel rendering for billboards and large posters. I have some problem with saving render elements during this kind of rendering over 6000 pixels. I can`t use full preview in vray frame buffer and i must save just RGB pass in EXR format as Raw output. But i don`t have other elements for post-production in Photoshop. for rendering images higher than 6000 pixels my machine take too long time for "Preparing Direct Light Manager"

My system config is :

CPU : 3770 intel

Mainboard : z77 Giga

Ram : 2*4= 8 GB bus 1600

VGA: nvidia 560 GTX

HDD: 1 TB (Normal / Not SSD)

And my questions are:

1) what can i do for lowering "preparing direct light manager" step in rendering process and have higher resolution renders with full preview for Render Elements.

2) Can i have render elements without full preview frame buffer? I want them for post_production in Photoshop CS6

3) Can this upgrade for hardware (SSD or RAM) help vray for Sketchup for higher resolution rendering with elements / Passes? sketchup crash during rendering process is more than 3ds max. is it for 32-bit version for SU? Can Vray 64-bit solve this problem?

Thank u for time and consideration !

You could check the RAM usage in the taskmanager. But i think your first problem is that VfS is only 32bit and your second, if you would use vray 64bit your 8GB could be to low.

^This

Vray for Sketchup is unfortunately limited to the 32bit sketchup reality. 3ish GB of RAM is all you are using (though on the 1st paragraph you are mentioning 3DS and then you are closing with Vray for Sketchup / VfS - which is it?)

Yes, 64bit 3DS + 64bit Vray versions definitely help with being able to address multiple times the RAM 32bit apps can.

It is quite common for visualizing artists to use Sketchup for all the fast modelling advantages, and then import geometries into 3DS for the much better material editor and 64bit stability advantages (ontop of more detailed modelling, pro libraries etc).

First you should use Windows x64, because at them moment your system uses only 3.5Gb of ram, due the limitations of win 32.

Second to benefit from the extra ram, your apps should ne also x64.

Adding SSD will improve only program startups and could be little bit better when paging, adding ram with 32 bit OS won't improve at all.

Best you can do to reduce the render times will be to get some render nodes.

thank u Bulent Halibram

....can u explain what can i render to memory over 6000 pixels. or is there any way to save my elements without rander to memory?

I runned into a similar problem a few days ago with a 13,000x8667 pix Rendering for a Big Billboard..., try this:

in 3DS MAX go to:

- Customize/Preferences/Rendering

- CHECK " Bitmap Pager"

- Page Size (kB): 4,000 (Experiment with this value)

- Bitmap Size Treshold (kB): 36,000 (Experiment with this value)

- Memory Pool: 50,000 (Experiment with this value)

I was able to render this image only after i did the above mentioned... You might have to experiment a bit with the values, but first try it out with the ones i gave you and see what happens.

Here is some usefull info from AUTODESK, altough old, i think still applies:

- http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=10205517&linkID=22152743

- http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=10205525&linkID=22152743

- http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=10205532&linkID=22152743

Good luck

i can`t understand what is paging file. is it virtual memory?

Yes, the virtual memory in windows. The render can be much slower when there is not enough physical RAM and the paging starts.

But once again: check your RAM usage at render time and you will see if it is enough.

It highly depends on your scene and your render settings how much RAM you will need for 6000pix+, so no one can know this.

Edited by numerobis