Verified/certified views

Chris MacDonald

Hey chaps,

One of our guys is having to do some verified views, but we're not entirely convinced that the information provided is enough to go by, given that these images have a tendency to carry legal weight when produced.

The major issue seems to be camera location, and possibly that one or two of the images are "panoramas", stitched from multiple photographs which undoubtedly changes the field of view, etc.

Are there any minimum requirements you'd specify if expecting to produce verified views?

I'm always dubious about the thought of providing verified views when you are being supplied incomplete or substandard information. If you are certifying the information then you need to be confident that your base data is accurate.

Standard practice for panoramic views I believe is to remove lens distortion, camera match the individual shots, then do the photomerge on the separate renders with building included. Be careful what software you use to do this though as some will distort the final result. Hugin or PTGUI are best.

in essence they are a "accurate" photo montage where the camera and certain key buildings are measured via a survey. These are often required when submitting a design for planning purposes and in many cases when there are legal disputes.

They are quite popular in the UK.

jhv

I just looked this up in the Dictionary of Truth that can be found at Street University.

Certified View - a way to sue the computer artist when the developer and or marketing agency gets sued for misrepresenting a project or product that the developer and or marketing agency asked the computer artist to "idealize"...

Hey, you know me... :D

Certified view, to me, means, run as fast as you can.

When I was a kid back home working my very first job for a guy that did hand painted gouache renderings, they all said "artist's interpretation", for the aforementioned reason.

Edited by karlar

I second that, i have no idea what a verified view is....

Justin's reply is correct, they are meant to be photoreal, with no cheeky little hacks to make it look nice, no "well, let's just have the windows reflecting the sky instead of those crappy buildings opposite, and leave out the bin store". It has to look as it would when built, and be accurate - basically you don't get to put "this is an artists impression only" on the bottom of the image.

The types of views are generally used when there is a certain view, or building that is particularly sensitive.

And you better hope it stands up to scrutiny, because if the built building doesn't look like the images then someone is going to want to know why (unless of course the changes have been approved).

Reminds me of a job where we were hired to do a verified view of a building that was to be the first 3 story building built among 1 and 2 story buildings along the California coast. The city was concerned about the shadows being cast during the morning/evening so before the builder was given final approval, we had to get those renderings done.

Upon seeing that the building did indeed cast a very obtrusive shadow, the client asked us, "Can you move the sun just a little bit?"

Verified view renders are not poison renderings, you just have to make sure you have everything in line when you do them. Like Chris said, no cheeky little hacks. It is a little easier now with GPS tagging on photos. There is less and less having to walk around with a giant yellow backpack that has a big ass antenna sticking out of it and everyone on the street thinking you are some sort of loon.