How to align axis (transform axis) to an object?

Onzki

Hi everyone,

I am coming from CAD and Sketchup modeling environment, so I'm a newbie to 3D max modeling workflow (edit poly). In CAD and Sketchup I am fond of changing the axis to align to a specific orientation or follow the object's orientation, an effective technique that I got used to. Is it possible to do this in 3Ds Max?

I have screenshot below for reference.

My Story:

The problem started when I noticed that everytime I move a vertex from left side view, strictly along X and Y only, when I looked at it on Top view, I discovered that the vertices are no longer in line with the orientation I am keeping.

I discovered that the problem is due to the axis not being aligned to the object. That's why it wouldn't align properly. If I can only realign the axis to the object, that will help me a lot.

Thanks!

Jon

hade.png

The fast solution for your specific question is simple. Go to your Reference Coordinate System drop-down (Top toolbar on your UI) and select "Screen" from the list; this will force transformation to the current view on your current viewport.

However, there are many ways to restrict transformations depending on your workflow. I suggest googling for this.

Edited by salvador

Hi Guys, thanks a lot for your suggestion.. I'll give them all a try. I discover another related method which is inside the dialogue of transform pivot- the edit /use working pivot tab. It's a lot time consuming and needs more learning for me :) As I think this through, maybe I can just leave 3D max standard workflow the way it is (axis unchanged) and adjust my own workflow to suit it by creating each piece of my model separately and then just assembling them in one file using import or block proxy's.