Maximum Size File Import into Premere

Jeff Mottle

• Administrators

Quick survey, what is the largest single file size you've imported into Premiere? Does anyone know of any limits or issues with extremely large files? I'm talking 100-200GB+ per file. Specifically Apple ProRes files that are many hours long each.

Edited by Jeff Mottle

• Administrators

Been doing a fair bit of reading on the ProRes codec and it seems that a decent GPU on Adobe CC should be able to handle files that are hundreds of gigs as it's an editing codec and does not take the same compute power as something like H.264 (which is a distribution codec). Also seems like CC better handles the ProRes codec too. I'm buying an Atomos Ninja 2 disk recorder and it outputs the ProRes codec which is why I was curious. Most don't record the length I'm looking at though, which is 2-10 hour segments. Looks like if I keep the files to 2-3 hours I should be ok. Will know more once I get my hands on it and do some real-world testing. We're looking to change the way we capture CGschool classes now that there are disk recorders capable of capturing full HD.