Question about my 3D Trees (how to improve)

Hris

I made many test of my 3d models of old trees...and now i suppose that these quality is rather enough for some 3D streetviews(not close ups, because leafs so rather flat...).

Please comment and give me some idea about better shape my trees, maybe ideas how to improve realism. Here are exmaple renders:

Tripple_trunks13_HDR.jpg

Greetings

Krzysztof Czerwiński

Jan - thank you for your very nice words:) Actually i' trying to solve leafs problem - because all leafs are toally flat and has the same texture:(

Next problem (probably hard to resolve) is make better connection between leaf and branches (smallest branches are to thin to render).

Next problem which i want to solve is this:

-) time to time tree has some unexpected cuts around trunk which are done to shape whole tree. Trunk is not cylinder or curved cylinder (check my orange lines):

Bark_cutted.jpg

Probably the best solution for me (using Atree3D) is to create another "leaf" object which looks like end of missing brach (in ATree3D leaf can be any shape, and only leaf ca be distributed in any part of tree) and assign these "leaf" object only to trunk (in 5-6 copies).

Actually i have no time to do this test, but i'll try to do that in next 4-5 days.

Maybe you have some other ideas to improve my trees? :)

Greetings

well, often it´s enough when you slightly bend the flat leaf. If you are using a quad, just split it into two trinagles. Now you can create a bend, giving some dimension to the leaf - and this is without increasing the complexity.

Next step is to use some more geometry for the leaves. This can give very nice results, especially when close up. But the larger the tree, the higher the chance that you will hit a wall , concerning the memory consumption.

For the knot holes - thats something you could solve with a texture - create a knothole texture and use it as "decal". That way you could still tile the main bark texture and add some details by adding knothole decals.

• 4 weeks later...