Looking for a good recommendation for a laptop for Max/Vray

philvanderloo

There are a bunch of companies (Asus, MSI, HP, Acer, etc.) making what you're looking for - laptops with high res 17" screens and high specs, usually marketed to gamers, sacrificing size/weight and battery life to get those specs, for under $1500. Look around for a good deal on one with a 1920x1080 screen that isn't so obviously styled for gamers (with glowing bits and embossed skulls etc.) that it would be embarrassing to be seen with by a client. Something like this.

I am using MSI GS70, (which is 17", 765 gtx, 16gb ram, SSD, slim...pretty) the so called "gaming ultrabook". I would be dead embarrassed to be seen anywhere close to Alienware like, but still needed atleast upper middle-class GPU like 765 and 16GB ram. Of course, 770/780 is nice, but...that size...and weight, and ugly looks, that's bit too much for me. It's also pricey, and I can't really justify those costs for something like laptop, this is of course different for people who use laptop mainly, but for me it's just travel necessity, nothing more.

I have to say all these gaming laptops have less then desireable TN LED displays mostly, which is farcry from the IPS in Retina MacBook that Veronika uses. But it's bearable, as long asyou calibrate it, all you have to live with is lesser gamut and weaker contrast.

3dsMax2014 works like a champ on mine MSI and I use truly high-poly non-optimized scenes. GTX765M is more than capable in viewport to my own dismay.

My advice applies only unless you set your mind on true mobile workstation, with Quadro possibility, and true IPS display.

Edited by RyderSK