New interview with Alex Roman on Evermotion.org

michalfranczak

really good interview

alex really is a breath of fresh air in what seems to be an industry of half blind men obsessed with 'settings and workflows' with little regard for the fact that we ultimately make images.

no one is giving out medals for having perfect anti aliasing. except perhaps those blogs berkman and evermotion that seem to be singular sources for homogenized re-posts where everyone takes turns to recreate the same dull but polished exercises in arranging design connected models. for commercial work i understand this approach for personal work i do not see the point.

if i see another person copy alex romans 3rd seventh, jurajs white bedroom or a bbb3 warehouse im going to have their websites taken down, forever.

not to worry though as soon enough another alex roman will come along and flip things around again. looking forward to this.

:rant:

(suppose its the same with people in games making bloody trolls or gun models lol)

He knows what he's doing :- )

I think if he published "Complete making of" (but there is one from him heh, funny how it went mostly unnoticed, and I don't mean the videos) the world would..break upon the amount of clones. I am not really bothered by this to be honest at all, I am only angry when people blatantly copy and don't bother giving credit/pretend they own the idea.

I find him very admirable person, breaking the plateus twice, first when he decided to create 3rd7nth, and second, when he just seamlessly translated into Cinematography from CGI world.

I thought he decided to vanish altogether from limelights after that youtube video where he talked about leaving space for young talents, but it's very shocking to see him re-emerge and I am very happy for it. Very similar to that guy Marla, who did the very first Farnsworth house (yep, the one before Peter's) in MentalRay and Maya, completely out this world for its time (still is..) and then just decided to...do something else and went silent.

There happens to be very few people who are quite so ground-breaking as them. Maybe the ordinary day-by-day nature of work for most visualizers leave very little space for bigger ambition. Or maybe most people don't have enough money to just go-on for year without commercial income :- )

I think he's been planning this book for a while, I seem to remember a few years ago taking a survey that asked if I was interested in seeing a book based on his Third and Seventh project. There are rock stars in every industry and Alex is definitely one of ours, he's achieved a level of artistry and realism that few of us are capable of. I'd love a technical breakdown of this project to find out how it was done but I fear the best I'd be able to do is just copy his style. It's a whole different thing to be able to do this on your own, to know instinctively what you're doing and why.