Windows 8.1 compatibility

RyderSK

So, I installed 8.1 on my laptop and much to my dismay, it broke complete havoc upon my apps. Photoshop which was advertised by Adobe to be cautious with upgrade,actually survived just fine and works, but 3dsMax 2014 sp3 did not. I reinstalled it, with all registry and stuff cleaned, and still. No start. Duh...well, I guess I have to reinstall win...

Edit:

Just delete this folder "C:\ProgramData\Flexnet". That should be all that needs to be done for restoring 3dsMax, although yes, it will ask again for serial input.

The problem wasn't caused by Windows8.1, but the update from 8 to 8.1 on already existing install, and was fault of FlexNet, not Autodesk. The error supposedly existed before and with other soft that use this 3rd party licencing app. It could happend under any Windows either.

Edited by RyderSK

I installed windows 8 too. Everything works fine for me BUT! First I uploaded my files to ADrive (you get 50gb for free) and then installed win8. Downloaded everything I needed. Installed PS CS6, Max 2014 and they work fine this way, but Marvelous is not working on win8. That's a shame.

I had no problem with the drivers... I mean every once in a while i feel/see a bit of a lag, but that's just for like 3-5 seconds but after everything gets back to normal. I get a notification that the graphics driver encountered a problem, but that's all. A few days ago I updated the drivers and so far not even that lag problem occurred.

I suggest you to save/upload your files, install win8 again, format your hard disk(s) and install the softwares again.

But I have zero problems with windows 8, I have been using it on every computer for a year and consider it the best OS so far. It's the recent 8.1 update that is problematic and unsupported by quite few software houses yet, which is funny because it wasn't supposed to break any compatibility. But it did, as I found out..

• 3 months later...

Juraj, I had the same problem. I installed the Windows 8.1 update and the next time I tried to open Max...well, you know. Are you saying if I do a system-wide search for "flexnet" and delete all the files it finds, then re-install the current drivers, that Max will work again after I input the serial?

If not, I'm going to do a clean install of Windows 7, which I know will work.

Thanks,

Lais

Just delete this folder "C:\ProgramData\Flexnet". That should be all that needs to be done for restoring 3dsMax, although yes, it will ask again for serial input.

The problem wasn't caused by Windows8.1, but the update from 8 to 8.1 on already existing install, and was fault of FlexNet, not Autodesk. The error supposedly existed before and with other soft that use this 3rd party licencing app. It could happend under any Windows either.

Fresh install of Windows 8.1 didn't have any trouble, but the folder delete solved it on updated system.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
So now that things hopefully have settled a bit, would you still recommend 8.1 over windows 7 for your main workstation?

Yes,why not.. ? It's my favorite OS, I love Win8 and I mean it. I don't think you will be able to buy it anymore soon, 10 is coming. I am bit dissapointed in them backstepping, but it still looks solid.

It's still mostly issue with how conservative you are and if you're more productive using Win7, then just keep that one. But Win8 is superior in almost every regard.

Juraj Talcik, I feel the same (that I love win8), but it seems to me, there are very few people who think the same.

Jens Anderson, there's no problem with win8 (and it's much faster than win7 IMO, just as Juraj said: Win8 is superior in almost every regard), I think the only thing people dont like about it is the start menu, but there's nothing complicated about it. For everyday use, the only thing you need to get used to is that (the start menu).

• 2 weeks later...
Juraj Talcik, I feel the same (that I love win8), but it seems to me, there are very few people who think the same.

Jens Anderson, there's no problem with win8 (and it's much faster than win7 IMO, just as Juraj said: Win8 is superior in almost every regard), I think the only thing people dont like about it is the start menu, but there's nothing complicated about it. For everyday use, the only thing you need to get used to is that (the start menu).

Agree.

For the conservative users there are more then enough Start Menu programs.

So far I have zero regrets upgrading to Windows 8.1

Actually I had no other choice, I had serious BSOD caused by Sabertooth X79 on Windows 7.

The only reason I bought Windows 8.1 RETAIL and not upgraded from Windows 7 OEM is because I wanted direct Microsoft support.