FX 8350 vs i7 4770

Is it really worth buying the i7?

The FX 8350 is faster when we look at the numbers and costs half compared to the i7 4770.

I saw many people on the internet talking about the 4770 (or 4xxx) processors, but I think the FX 8350 is just as good as some i7 CPUs, but costs less.

FX 8350 has 32ghz in total while the i7 4770 has "only" 27.2ghz.

What is your opinion?

Everything I've seen comparing the FX 8350 to the I7 3770 has the 3770 being a bit faster in multithreaded work and a lot faster in single threaded. The 4770 is a bit faster than the 37700, so I'd like to see an explanation of why the AMD "is faster when we look at the numbers".

It's reasonably strong in multi-threaded benchmarks. It's completely different league in actual render tests in Vray, and many more where due to some reason on AMD's architecture they work pretty badly.

Just google "8350 in Vray" and you will find all those suprised people with their horror stories (though lot has been solved with updated Vray, because of lot of unhappy people on chaos forum, lot still remain with other renderers). Talk about bad investment.

To take out: It looks good on paper,does reasonably well in synthetic benchmarks, we all wish AMD would fight on more fronts than just gpus, it's just bad choice for rendering currently. Don't try to save every penny

Also, the single-threaded performance on the Intel is much better. In a high end box I wouldn't slow down my Max / Revit / etc. user interface by a substantial amount just to save $140 (the US price difference for the K version - if I don't want OC and buy the non-K it's only a $110 difference).

The difference here is more than $200 for the non K version and if I would buy now a cpu, i would like an i7. I was wondering why's the i7 so expensive compared to the FX when on paper the FX is just as good as the i7, but I googled what Juraj Talcik said and now i get it that the i7 is better/faster.

Edited by krisztiangulyas

No, the price difference Andrew said applies in Europe as well, we pretty much get almost same prices now. I checked few sources around, and you can always just order from Amazon.de and the price is pretty much ~185 euros compared to ~300 euros for K version or ~275 for the non-K. These are on the higher side/reputable vendors, I was able to find ~ -20 euros per each item from e-shops as well. These are prices for boxed versions for all versions.

Now, still take into account you can run the haswell at ~4.5+ GHz, without slightest effort and still very good electricity bill, giving you additional 20+perc. performance.