Help with generating buildings from splines

larsmosnes

Hi, Creating a terrain and buildings for a vizualiation. We got map data from a dwg file with the roof prints in the right heights. The thing is, i need to generate those splines into buildings. Is there a easy way to this?

What i tried so far is to extrude downwards until its under the terrain. Making sure non of the buildings are floating above the terrain. But then the problem starts when I want to create the roofs. Its a large amount of buildings. So to do it manually would be very time consuming!

Any tips on creating the roofs?

Roofing_Problem.jpg

Make sure your buildings are Editable Poly, then attach them all as one entity. Now, with the editable poly selected -> 'Border' sub-object mode -> select each roof border using the Ctrl key so they are all selected -> click the Create Shape button under Edit Borders on Command Panel and select Linear, name it, and OK. Select the newly created spline shape and add a Shell modifier. Boom. All roofs done. From there you can edit to your hearts content!

Cheers! Will try tomorrow:)

Don't cheer just yet. My method creates non-planar faces, just not sure if that's a problem for you. If so, I would then just isolate the roofs entity, set snaps to 2.5, go to top view, select each roof in 'Element' sub-object mode one by one and do a Quick Slice across the peak of the roof to make the faces planar. Should go pretty fast. Anyway, that's just one way. :) Good luck.