Elevator question...??

erkutacar

I was wondering if there was an elevator system that climbs on a curve? I believe its very possible but I couldn't find any examples online..

im modeling a curved building and I don't wanna put the straight elevator shaft in the middle of the building.. I want the shaft to be on the outer edge, so it has to climb on a curve..

any reference suggestions?

I was wondering if there was an elevator system that climbs on a curve? I believe its very possible but I couldn't find any examples online..

im modeling a curved building and I don't wanna put the straight elevator shaft in the middle of the building.. I want the shaft to be on the outer edge, so it has to climb on a curve..

any reference suggestions?

Ive never heard of one. Sounds like a bitch to engineer, I'd lay monay that every timne its been proposed its been shot down.

I heard of a building (Arts building at Sheffield University) where they forgot to design in the toilets. The solution was to get rid of one elevator shaft and re-purpose the space as toilets.

Due to the increased traffic in the reduced elevator shaft volume they installed a 'conveyor belt' style system which was an elevator that never stopped. You opened the doors and stepped onto a moving platform. Thats the rumor. If its true then you have a precedent for designing a belt driven 'curved shaft' style elevator. Dont quote me. Unless it works, of course.

All the curved buildings have a "normal" elevators inside..elevators are expensiv.

For curves you would need a track system...bit like a roller coaster...I think the St. Louis arch works like that.

A regular building with floors is a a different case, the elevator would have to stop on all floors...maintenance will be tricky..

But all is possible when u have the cash.

You could look at how the Eiffel Tower does the slanted elevator on the base. I think it would be similar to what you want to do on the curve. If this is just for a CG rendering, rock the unrealistic. Make magic and magnets pull the thing up, but don't worry too much about reality.

You could shoot people out of a cannon.

I believe Otis has an angled elevator. Likely a curved track one as well. I'm almost certain the CN Tower elevators do not go in a straight line. The Luxor in Vegas for sure has an elevator that travels at an angle. I think I remember some literature on a new elevator that can travel vertically, then horizontally and then vertically again as well.