Lofting crown molding in 3ds max 6

VCRUPI

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could prost something about lofting crown moldings in 3ds max 6.... I created a cross-section slpine of the molding, but when I go to loft in along a path, I get these weird results. It looks as if 3ds max is always lofting the slpine the wrong way...reversed....i'm stumped on this one. :confused:

Please help ASAP!

I have some screenshots...but not sure how to upload them.

...i would like to see some screen shots, just post a reply, scroll down to Manage Attachments button, click on it, and upload your image.

but for now, another way that may be easier is to simply create the crown moulding by attatching spline to spline, create a cross-section, then simply add a surface to it from the modifier list.... hope this helps u

VCRUPI,

There may be other ways to do this, but here is my solution. you will have to ReDraw your crown molding in the opposite direction. this should not take very long since you can simply trace over your other spline. Max is lofting based on whether you drew the spline in the clockwise or counter-clockwise direction. mirroring the spline won't work. Twist might work, I have never tried that. if twist doesn't work, redrawing the spline in the opposite direction will.

You can also try it this way. If you click on the plus sign in front of "loft" under "modifier list" you will see the words "shape" and "path". Click on "shape" and then in the perspective viewport you will be able to select the shape IN your loft, then in this case, turn it 180 degrees in the z-axis.

I agree about the Bevel Profile. I'll use that instead of Loft whenever possible.

Also, with the Spline editing, going to the Spline sub-object level, then selecting the spline in question, then pressing the Reverse button swaps the spline direction, too. No need to Mirror, or find the first vertex.

Hehe, this problem used to drive me nuts...

...you only had to edit the path spline at the vertex level and click

"Make First" the vertex at the other end of the spline. :D

thanks alot...this solved my VIZ problem, was lofting the shape the other way I wanted.

• 4 weeks later...

In order to get your loft shape dead on in position relative to the path, you will have to go to the hierarchy panel and adust the position of the pivot point of the profile. The loft tool, creates the loft of the profile object, and centers the pivot point along the path.

Usually for critical lofts, I

1. go to an orthogonal viewport, and draw the profile in place exactly where it will go.

2. turn on snap to pivot.

3. Go to hierarchy panel.

4. Move the pivot to the position of the loft path.

5. Then create lofts.

For lofts that aren't so critical.

1. Go to sub-object mode.

2. select the profile

3. select left, right to move the loft to the left or right of the path.

4. select top or bottom to justify the loft under or over the path.

Chris J.

• 6 years later...