Rustic Kitchen Concept: Please Critique

cedeon

Well, what do you think is missing? "Rustic" can mean a lot, IMO it is all too perfect, too new, rustic? guess the wood, the flooring the chairs could have some imperfections or or signs of usage...a white kitchen doesnt say rustic...I would check reference picture and analyse them on what makes them look rustic..anz chance for an old fashioned oven or a fire place?

Rustic Kitchen

Harry,

Thanks i'll take on board those comments. There isn't really a reference image outside of my mind although i do have various photos of elements. you are right about the floor planks, maybe i'll add some subtle displacement.

Thanks again.

design critique aside, it looks a bit desolate. does your kitchen look like this where you live? Mine doesn't. I have hand towels near the sink, window treatments, cooking oil/spices, cookbooks etc.

It's also rather dark. I understand the trend is toward natural light only but if you look at architectural photography of kitchens, you'll find quite a few additional light sources. check out http://www.houzz.com/rustic-kitchen

Where is the wife cooking?

I would also brighten it up....blow the windows and exposure out more. If you ever take a picture during the day, Usually its pretty blown out when inside looking out (not all the time).

Maybe grunge up the cabinets a bit as if the paint has worn through. Also I think the composition could change a tad... IMO I am not sure what I should be focusing on in this image. Is it the table? The cabinets?

Its a good start though! Start adding the fine detail that your eye might not notice, but your brain does... all those add up to compelling images.

Where is the HUSBAND cooking? I'd even like to see a father with a kid or two fixing breakfast while MOM sits at the table reading the paper.

But yes I agree a warm body or two would do wonders in this scene.

The dad is out with the kids after they cooked breakfast in bed for mom

• 4 weeks later...