Giving the final product - getting the money

Krisztian Gulyas

A man called me today asking for a short animation. We talked about everything but there's no signed contract that we agreed on this and on the price.

The question is: How do you make sure that you get the money?

I know should always have a signed contract, but now its not possible, so I thought I can burn the files on a CD and give them that when we meet and they give me the money.

Have you ever been in a situation like this? How did you make sure you get the money for the job you finished?

Thanks

Simple answer is they dont get the final product until the final payment is made, especially if you dont have a contract.

Of course things aren't always that simple so it would be best to discuss this before you meet for the hand over, as it might get a bit ugly trying to get the money later. It all depends on your relationship with this man.

JHV

Never is to late to make a contract or small agreement!!!

Print this in the front of your screen!! :) :) :)

you had your phone talk already, you still will have tons of opportunities to talk with your client about corrections, updates, maybe storyboard review and what not, in any of those instances, (the early the better) you can walk in ( or fax, or email) with a written contract, or a simple agreement, you only have to say, that after your first meeting, you prepare this document, just to keep clear all your duties, time lines, prices and payments it is a standard process, if he is serious about his business he should not have any problem.

Also in animation, since they are so time and effort consuming, you can divide your payment in different stages, after reaching some goals, like, Approved contract, approved storyboard, last approved animatics and so on. If it is your first client animation do not wait until the end to receive all the money, that's is not right for any of both parts.

Do not be afraid to do this, I am still surprise how many freelancer still scare to the word Contract, there is nothing wrong to present one of this simple papers to a client, it is normal, it is part of any business. Anyone who does not want to sign a contract or even a simple email agreement is the first red flag that you should see before proceed with your project.

Sounds like a quick turnaround project. call him back and ask for his email info if you don't have it already. Thank him for the work and tell him you will be emailing him the contract while you are busily producing his animation and would appreciate it if he can sign the contract and return to you before the end of the day today. If he says he doesn't want to sign a contract for any reason, explain it is not a problem and you will be happy to accept cash when you deliver the animation to his office. Cash is better than a contract anyway.