mr: Photons from IBL + FG, nothing is at thime better!

thorsten hartmann

Daily Work! The First commercial Project at 2014!

... and it´s the first project that i render with :) => IBL (nor mr daylight system, i use a HDRI) + 10.000 Photons from IBL + FG ( diffuce bounce = 0). Second i have use the other new optimizing Tricks "opaque". The Rendering was very fast.

I can official say: "This workflow is product ready and at this time the best without any limits."

Job duration two days.

1000hands_DHH_Strasse.JPG

1000hands_DHH_Garten.JPG

have fun!

mfg

hot chip

Every single one from CG-Source

I don't own any from CG source, and i certainly haven't tried all on the market :) but let's look at this one from VisPeople.

Sharp shadows:

http://i.imgur.com/1nLJAJc.jpg

1nLJAJc.jpg

If i try to replicate it, this is what i get, sky illumination is at a similar level, but sun is far to weak (pretty similar to Thorstens render):

http://i.imgur.com/O3q4aOc.jpg

O3q4aOc.jpg

Solution - make sun stronger. I do it in Fusion, and here are shadows:

http://i.imgur.com/XFM0sFh.jpg

XFM0sFh.jpg

It's posible that Cg source HDRIs have proper values, or Vray handles HDRIs in a different way then mental ray, or that HDRIs that i have just aren't any good.

Can't really comment on mental ray implementation of IBL, because when I used MentalRay back in 2012 and it was not available. But with some quick research on the net reveals that it fully works in better quality in iRay so maybe the shadows can never be obtained so sharply in MentalRay. Anyway, only guess.

Other thing can be those VizPeople previews were done with lowered gamma to boost the overal EV contrast, this is something that can easily be done via VrayHDRImap. The VizPeople, are actually quite decent quality in terms of EV range, but hardly the top.

Other guess, are you loading the HDRis with proper 1.0 gamma ? Because it they would accidentaly get loaded as 2.2, they would have bleached contrast which would reduce the strength of shadows considerably as the whole range of EV would be drastically shortened.

But regarding various sources (from Dosch, to Peter Guthries, to Cgskies, even DutchSkies collection (quite hollywood style), CG-Source are simply unsurpassed in quality both in terms of clarity and resolution (16 000px) and EV range (16-25, just beyond anything on market).

Btw; Download free samples from CG-Source, they only contain lowered resolution but same EV range. See what it gets you

... when I used MentalRay back in 2012 and it was not available.

That's why i mentioned Vray, i assumed that all those HDRIs could be "optimized" for Vray, but that's not the case, as you'll see bellow.

Other guess, are you loading the HDRis with proper 1.0 gamma ?
2014 does this automatically. You can override it as usual, but if it's HDR it will load it with gamma 1.0.

Btw; Download free samples from CG-Source, they only contain lowered resolution but same EV range. See what it gets you
I did, here is the result:

http://i.imgur.com/WTadKA4.jpg

WTadKA4.jpg

All i can say is - damn! It really is all up to the HDRI quality. Just stick it in and it works :) With all others i had to (besides fiddling with the sun) adjust sky multiplier to balance things out. This one, no setup what so ever, everything at default, and it just works.

EDIT: it looks pretty close to this in viewport as well.

Edited by blank...

Yes, they are much different league than the rest. Haven't been using any other for more than a year and the few I own I just modify.

Most people claim to take atleast 9EVs, but I doubt that, or they start spacing them too high, instead of low, which is what is necessary.

But best of all, one does avoid ugly color casts, which are impossible to balance against without desaturating the HDRi itself.

HI

i use from Peter Gathrie the HDRI + JPG for Light + Reflection. As Background Template in Photoshop, i use Vizpeople Background, that are in 10.000 or higher. The Worklow...

a) in Environment Map a Background_Switcher for Eye + Reflection. here use a Peter Gathrie JPG.

b) skylight ( no mr sun) use a Peter Gathrie HDRI. This image looks most overbright.

c) for finetuning use a color correction. If you need more shadow sharpness from the sun, use Contrast or Gamma.

perfect_shadows.jpg

Edited by thorsten hartmann