Has anyone done a write up on their Vray 3 experience?

Brodie Geers

I know there's some info out there from the beta testing but I wonder if anyone has done a review of the final release. Curious if there are any bugs or things to look out for with the new version.

-Brodie

I have not seen any write ups, but I have been using the Beta 3.0 version since it was first released and we immediately purchased the full licence one it was out. The speed alone will pay itself off in a render or 2. We found this version very stable with no major issues. At first there were some noise issues that looks like they have been corrected. All in all, this version in my opinion is a great build. They have a few videos out too showing some of the new features. The VRay RT has had a fairly large overhaul too and has come in handy with production...although this has had a few bugs I noticed.

I have not seen any write ups, but I have been using the Beta 3.0 version since it was first released and we immediately purchased the full licence one it was out. The speed alone will pay itself off in a render or 2. We found this version very stable with no major issues. At first there were some noise issues that looks like they have been corrected. All in all, this version in my opinion is a great build. They have a few videos out too showing some of the new features. The VRay RT has had a fairly large overhaul too and has come in handy with production...although this has had a few bugs I noticed.

What kind of speed increases are you seeing? From some other thread somewhere it seems that the speed increase is the biggest for Brute Force while I hardly ever use BF. IDK how correct the info I read was though.

What kind of speed increases are you seeing? From some other thread somewhere it seems that the speed increase is the biggest for Brute Force while I hardly ever use BF. IDK how correct the info I read was though.

This seems to be correct. No personal experience yet but I assume any speed-up reported in general rendering to be only atributed to Embree Kernels implementation (15-20perc. increase overall) and some additional sampling tweaks applicable only to certain situations (like propabilistic approach to scenes with too many light sources). Still, this is pretty nice ?

The radical improvement to brute force sampling is mostly good news in complicated scenarios, as it is now truly more "universal" solution, while previously you really had to skip it in glossy interiors.

In this time and age, seems hard to expect miraculous improvements in tech :- )

I dont use Brute Force, although in certain scenes we have seen 2- times faster render times an overage.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got some tests run on the same machine, same scene, same settings comparing Vray 2.4 to Vray 3. All renders are at 2000x1200 using the settings provided in the scene from Akin Bilgic (http://www.cggallery.com/tutorials/vray_optimization/).

Brute Force in 2.4 took just a shade under 52 minutes.

Vray2-BruteForce.jpg

The same scene in 3.0 was roughly 36 minutes.

Vray3-BruteForce.jpg

In 3.0 with Embree disabled, brute force was back up to 49 minutes.

Vray3-BruteForce_NoEmbree.jpg

IR+LC in 2.4 took 34 minutes in Vray 2.4

Vray2-IR-LC.jpg

IR+LC in 3.0 took 31 minutes

Vray3-IR+LC.jpg

IR+LC in 3.0 with Embree disabled took 37 minutes.

Vray3-IR+LC_NoEmbree.jpg

So the usual method of IR+LC shows pretty decent improvement, but Brute Force combined with Embree is definitely the big winner with 3.0. I also dig the Max Ray Intensity to help deal with the fireflies you'd sometimes get.

There is a lot more to test out, this is just a surface test, but so far 3.0 has been well worth the investment.

I got my 3.0 license last Thursday. Been messing with it for the last couple days and it does seem overall faster. I have been having some odd things happen though, I am working on a couch so I was creating some different materials for it...Long story short a leather material with maps for ref,some mixing of different maps in the bump, and .7 ref. gloss renders faster than a white linen material with .7 ref. gloss and minimal ref. and a simple bump map. And it renders almost as fast as a matte gray material.

Interesting, seems like reflective materials are lightning quick in 3.0 at least in this one scene.

Brute Force is much faster now but I am still getting better results form IR+LC in the same or less time so I think I will probably stick with that for now at least.