Revit to 3ds Max workflow

RogerC

Hi,

I just wanted to see if there are people here that are exporting (or linking)their models to 3ds Max to create renderings.

We have been doing this for a while, but passing our models through AutoCAD, where we do some editing. Kind of tedious but we get decent results at the end.

Like to see what others are doing and the results they are getting.

Thanks & cheers

Roger C

Going through Autocad is pointless. Use either the FBX exporter from revit or depending on which version of revit and max you have, you can directly link revit files into 3DS max. If you are using older versions, FBX is the way to go. Gives you lots of options to work with. If your design is constantly changing, having a linked file is nice.

Yes we use this regularly. We have used this method on the Calgary Airport project for almost 3 years now.

What we have found is that the linking is good during the design stage when the design is changing all of the time. When the designed is more locked, we bind in the FBX and start the cleanup, materials etc in Max.

What issues are you having with mesh? What versions of revit and 3ds are you using?

Ahhhh yes... I have faced this many many times.

The problem is whoever is modelling the revit... they need to make sure they are not making duplicates of things. Some of the files I have seen in revit or sketchup have 2-10 columns in the same spots. We came across the same issues in our animations and the only way we fixed it was to delete these duplicate objects, or in some cases extrude the face of the duplicated objects by a mm or two.

There is a VRay setting I THINK that can help with this, but I have noticed it also kills render times.

Well, we can't afford a slower render solution, as our render farm is slow enough as it is.

We get Revit models, or exports from various companies. The quality varies enormously, but even the good ones still exhibit these problems. I'll see if I can come up with a concrete example and post it.

• 3 months later...

For me revit models always been a problem to render. Walls for example produce a lot of noise in render, even after I changed their structure in revit and left only the core.

A similar Autocad model renders perfect, with exactly the same render and mat settings.

I don't know what exactly is the problem, may be it's just bad karma or something.

Have you tried to export as DWG solids, just to test if it´s the FBX settings?

I get very clean models(for game engines) using DWG, done many tests, same building done in MAX only differ 0-20% in vertices.

You need to sometimes tweak the import settings if curved geometry (ellipses are not ideal).

Suite workflow also can be set up to get very nice models to MAX, but I prefer DWG since not need any textures, or materials.

• 3 months later...

I might be able to help you guys out a little. In 4 or 5 steps Revit + 3dsMax works pretty well.

Here's the blog:

http://mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com/2013/11/revit-3dsmax-utilizing-render.html

These are examples of Revit to 3dsMax of mine to view. I've had pretty decent success: http://www.turbosquid.com/Search/Artists/3d-medical-equipment?sort_column=A5&sort_order=desc