Should Vyonyx be worried???

heni30

These are the presentation renderings for the winning design for the Martin Luther King Jr. Washington D.C. Mies Van Der Rohe library renovation by Mecanoo / Martinez+Johnson Architecture who beat out 2 other finalists:

mlk 1.jpg

The other presentation drawings were a weak attempt at Euro-cool and SketchUp Photoshop-ed to look like watercolor.

Is 1950's retro the new thing? Have we come full circle? Should we uninstall max and vray and go try to find some rapiographs on Ebay?

mlk 2.jpg

mlk 4.jpg

mlk 5.jpg

mlk 3.jpg

Edited by heni30

On the competition level, what's quicker? These hand sketches or a full blown super spectacular Peter Guthrie rendering? What method is more adaptable to the changes of competition renderings?

What sells the form and shape of the structure better? Or can both a hand sketch and super pretty rendering sell the form of the structure.

Down the road when the design is finalized, then you can go do the pretty picture rendering. At the initial stage, those types of renderings are often not needed and extremely time and cost ineffective.

You have to disconnect magazine/print renderings and competition level renderings. Those are two distinct types of styles and workflows.

In this case it WAS about the conceptual stage, which is what Vyonyx does extensively.

Here's what one of the runner ups, patkau-ayers-saint-gross, submitted:

mlk aaa.jpgpencil.png

If the firm had opted to go with a quick, cheap, cartoony style, Vyonyx would have been hurting, assuming hypothetically they were commissioned to do these.

They need to clean off their lens; or fine tune the focus :-)

mlk bbb.jpg

mlk ddd.jpg

mlk eee.jpg

mlk ccc.jpg

Edited by heni30

I didn't mean Vyonyx literally - they just represent the high end expensive super-rendering studios who charge 4k for a rendering.

If that first style, which is a lot faster and cheaper to do, becomes popular, the Euro - cool studios will suffer financially.

Judging from the tutorials on Vyonyx (like making a rendering from scratch in Photoshop), one of their guys could probably take one of the second set of renderings and Photoshop it into kick-ass quality in a couple of hours.

Edited by heni30

What are the Euro-Cool studios by the way?

The term was coined by CLOG magazine :- D But honestly, it kind of fits. It's american perspective so. Imho it fits Luxigon the best.

For New Views, CLOG has compiled a collection of 60 digital images—some from the original issue, others solicited for the exhibition—which are projected into custom-designed frames on the gallery walls. These were narrowed into four stylistic categories: Developer Real, Critical Collage, Zoom!, and Euro Cool, with a different frame profile for each category.

New Views: The Rendered Image in Architecture

Mighty Luxigon

1965832205_1105_CLOG_Rendering_HERO_tcm20-2087574.jpg?width=600&404=404.png

I like the illustrations in first post too. (I like everything with Mies though)

Euro-cool is a phrase coined in the article: "How we render:The changing image of Architecture" that was in that thread last week.

I'm guessing it refers to studios like Mir, Luxigon, Vyonyx, etc.

I worked for a Chinese guy in NYC and he had a great loose pen style. I'll bet he could trace a computer block-out for one of those renderings in 1 hour. But you're right, he would probably charge 2 - 3K.

I worked for a Chinese guy in NYC and he had a great loose pen style. I'll bet he could trace a computer block-out for one of those renderings in 1 hour. But you're right, he would probably charge 2 - 3K.

It's kind of moot point in how long it takes. Its artistic shortcut in the overall style had to be developed and the final compositions still had lot of thought put together regardless of time it takes to mechanically create.

Hard to guess if it's commissioned or in-house. Could be both.

I think a lot of people are over-looking the building it's self and the period in which it was built. To me the retro illustrations are more intriguing, interesting, and more relevant to the building that the other 3D renders.

Perhaps this is why the architect won the job, because they have a good grasp of the history and philosophy of the building, and perhaps the owner feels more comfortable in awarding the job to an architect they trust to do the right thing.

I think the lesson here is not to abandon your usual practices, but rather be open to different approaches.

Dean

It would be interesting to determine to what extent renderings do influence jury members. I think it will be less if they are knowledgeable about architecture. I think the greatest influence would be when the jury is on the fence and it could go either way. Crappy renderings would work against you no matter what.

Here is the 3rd set of renderings:

mlk 2222.jpg

mlk 5555.jpg

mlk 1111.jpg

mlk 4444.jpg

mlk 3333.jpg

The first would win by design even if none of them had provided any sort of visuals at all.

But now seeing the 2nd and 3rd,...the second is just low-quality and 3rd is quite ugly/kitsch [And that's considering I am not expressing my personal opinion on american "water color" stuff]

""It would be interesting to determine to what extent renderings do influence jury members. I think it will be less if they are knowledgeable about architecture.""

When it comes to competitions the "Urban concept" matters first, the jury will check the sitepland and the physical model for that. I worked for a couple of years mainly on competitions in Europe and Asia...the idea/concept counts. But it depends on the competition itself, is it one with like 10 famous big Design firms where OMA and Hadid would compete? or is this a competition where they would invite 30 offices for normal projects like schools or hospitals? Is it a open comepiutiton with 80-300 entires? I talked to a jury member of a open competition , 200 entries, he said that they had not even 2 minutes to chekc the 3 A0 pages of each entry. The jury will discuss the urban concept , the building volume and building typolgy and arrangment of rooms first. Ecology, money, interior quality comes second. There are guidelines and rules for every competition and they state what matters to them jury, city, investors. I have been a comeptiton and a jury member told me that he "tries to look through the fancy rendering pictures to cathc the design idea". Some jury members (mostly peopel that work for the city or the investors) need a 3D Rendering to really understand the project, while the actual experts often check the elevations instead of a rendering to understand the actual proportions of the building. And in some places there is the tendency (I know that from Switzerland and Berlin lately) that architects may not provide "photorealistic immages or 3D renderings". The famous and successfull architecture offices in Middle Europe and China always use first class renderings (well, OMA being the exception)

I have been a comeptiton and a jury member told me that he "tries to look through the fancy rendering pictures to cathc the design idea".

"" ... while the actual experts often check the elevations instead of a rendering to understand the actual proportions of the building. )

This is something I agree 100 percent.