Solved problem in viewport when working with huge scene?

hoanglinh

Check that your model is not located far from the origin point. Perhaps system units should be meters, instead of mm

+1

Also IMO you should switch to a laptop without this Quadro cr*p.

3Ds Max 2013/2014 works great with GTX.

Actually, since I got the GTX I never bother again about scene poly count. I easily reach 12M poly and viewports work like magic.

Guest dialog
You also might want to try the Legacy Direct3d. The Nitrous drivers are rubbish for heavy scenes.

Even with the new K6000 we get the same issues with Nitrous... not sure how many releases it will take to get it right...

Even with the new K6000 we get the same issues with Nitrous... not sure how many releases it will take to get it right...

Define heavy scene. the quote by "Crazy homeless Guy" is so totally untrue that it really hurts. At least for Max 2014.

It's possible that imported CAD data that produces hundreds or thousands of spline segments or seperated objects is really slower in nitrous than in D3D, but in general, Nitrous kicks D3D's butt. Nitrous performance gets influenced by other factors than D3D performance, thus people may come to the conclusion that Nitrous is slower. Get accustomed to Nitrous and how to set it up for best performance and see how it flys...

Regarding the original problem:

Are your system units set to millimeters by any means ? ( or post suggests this )

This is a general problem with MAx , when the dimension values get really large ( like using millimeters to modell a city on scale ) all possible areas - including viewport get funky , because 3ds Max uses only single precision float values.

Switch your system units according to the model dimensions you are going to work with. Meters would be far mor fitting for a city scene ( And don't confuse system units with the display units, which you can set to whatever option you want, those do not influence the inner funtionality/precision of 3ds Max )

Edited by spacefrog

Define heavy scene. the quote by "Crazy homeless Guy" is so totally untrue that it really hurts. At least for Max 2014.

It's possible that imported CAD data that produces hundreds or thousands of spline segments or seperated objects is really slower in nitrous than in D3D, but in general, Nitrous kicks D3D's butt. Nitrous performance gets influenced by other factors than D3D performance, thus people may come to the conclusion that Nitrous is slower. Get accustomed to Nitrous and how to set it up for best performance and see how it flys...

Regarding the original problem:

Are your system units set to millimeters by any means ? ( or post suggests this )

This is a general problem with MAx , when the dimension values get really large ( like using millimeters to modell a city on scale ) all possible areas - including viewport get funky , because 3ds Max uses only single precision float values.

Switch your system units according to the model dimensions you are going to work with. Meters would be far mor fitting for a city scene ( And don't confuse system units with the display units, which you can set to whatever option you want, those do not influence the inner funtionality/precision of 3ds Max )

tks alot, i prefer to work with "mm", but like a city, i should change to "m"? :D