Track A Sign into Aerial Footage

Guest dialog

Guest dialog

Hey guys, I have a request to fly over our downtown and get video footage of a building from a client. They want us to track the new signage for the top of the building onto it. Just wondering what the best option for this is? Can it be tracked using After Effects? Are there any tips to keep in mind while shooting aerial?

Yes, After Effects has a built in tracking tool that is quite effective. If you are shooting from a distance you might get away with linking a 2d sign to the tracking data and that would be all that is required. If you are getting closer or the viewpoint changes significantly throughout the shot then you will have to use a dedicated 3d tracking software such as Syntheyes or PFTrack. This will allow you to export the data as a set of points plus camera to 3ds max where you can set up your modeled signage for rendering.

As for tips, keep the building in shot the whole time, don't shoot through the glass, watch out you don't get the rotors in the shot if it's a helicopter. Inevitably there is going to be some shakiness to the footage, hopefully you can smooth most of this out in After Effects. I'm sure others with more experience can offer more advice.

Guest dialog

Great thanks. Ya I did Aerial once and it turned out good... but didnt need to track anything.

Will After Effects be able to export the data to make a camera in 3DS Max or will I need PFTrack or Syntheyes for that?

• 5 months later...

Check out its description either able to export the data to make a camera in 3DS Max after affect or not.

This will allow you to export the data as a set of points plus camera to 3ds max where you can set up your modeled signage for rendering.

I am not sure but I think you can't do it in this regard. But this is true, I am totally agree with "Stephen" that this will be allow when export the data as a set of points plus camera to 3ds max where you can set up your modeled signage for rendering.

Anyhow, I recomend you one of the expert in this regard. Contact with him via email or call as you comfort. He can better guide you. His spot famous in the name of illuminated signs Melbourne.

• 6 months later...

Is it common for people to accept jobs without knowing how to do it?

Tracking objects from the air can turn into a real pain and take a lot of time and resources, specially if the footage isn't super smooth.. surely you'd want to know you can for sure do this and have a few goes at doing it before accepting a paid job doing it.

Guest dialog

When its a request from a designer in the office for a client (with no budget) we will take a look at the feasibility and if it is possible. So you get what you pay for I guess...and if that means you don't have a budget, you get people who have not done it before. Not to mention, everyone needs to start from somewhere. This for us, was a perfect time to see what the process is.Now that we are getting a drone as well, we can start to build this skill set in house.