Any ideas about my RAM consumption in 3ds Max?

Roodogg

Hi guys. I'm working on a fairly complex interior and after merging a few more 3d resources, my scene has jumped from 250mb to 450 mb.

Not particularily concerned with that but task manager shows my ram is maxed out! I have 16gb available and it's floating around 15.7-15.9gb making it impossible to merge more resources. (which are needed).

I have collapsed all stacks and checked my instances are still active. as far as I can tell, the scene is no different from any other!

Can't find any help online or on the forums. Just hoping someone can shed some light on something I might be missing.

Thanks in advance.

(UPDATE)

Ok, so I went into the original scene, applied a standard mat to one of the objects, a 6 poly box, reopened max with an empty scene, merged the box and my ram went from 2.1gb to nearly 13gb. I saved the scene containing just one box and the file size shows as 320mb.

clearly there are some characteristics of the scene bing held in the geometry. What could this be?

I am totally out of ideas. Luckily this is just a R&D scene but still incredibly frustrating.

Cheers.

(UPDATE)

Basically, any part of the scene merged into a new file makes the new file enormous. Even if i then delete the object and create a simple primitive, 'save as' or 'save selected' creates a 320mb file. insane.

Edited by Roodogg