why does the noise increase so much when VrayMtl Refl.Glossiness is turned down?

Coolhand78

I'm trying to create a very basic white plaster wall texture and for some reason which i cannot figure out when i turn down the Refl. Glossiness value (0.7) the noise of my relfection pass increases dramatically, i've tried increase the light subdiv's the relf subdiv's and it doesnt seem to have any effect on reducing the noise of the reflection.

it's not so much of a problem with the exception that in certain area's it's producing artifacts and i would like to know how to control this parameter effectively...

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the replies guys, I've tried increasing the reflection subdivisions but to no avail, I had them at 24 and increase them to 128, and the only thing that changed was the render time. In this particular instance I'm doing an internal and the wall texture is a large part of the scene...

I also removed the bump map and that didn't yield any better results either, it seems that no matter what I do I just cannot get clean reflections with the refl. glossiness turned down...? And on such a basic texture, it's really frustrating me...!

Here is a video that I think will help you balance out the noise in your scenes. I really like Grant's approach (both to vray and to teaching) and I have signed up for his tutorial series. Signing up isn't necessary, this free first tutorial will get you headed in the right direction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PYHAGQp9KM

And another that uses the same principals for a interior scene.

Some images showing the noise you are getting would be helpful as well as your render elements passes to see where it is coming from.

Here is a video that I think will help you balance out the noise in your scenes. I really like Grant's approach (both to vray and to teaching) and I have signed up for his tutorial series. Signing up isn't necessary, this free first tutorial will get you headed in the right direction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PYHAGQp9KM

And another that uses the same principals for a interior scene.

Some images showing the noise you are getting would be helpful as well as your render elements passes to see where it is coming from.

hey man, thanks for posting these, i've seen both these tutorials, and they are excellent, but i'm only using vray 1.5 and the sample rate pass doesn't show as much information as the one used in later versions...

I've been through the process outlined in John O'Connell's tutorial, and the noise is in the reflection pass, and it's simply to do with lowering the refl.glossiness value, if i set it at one, i get lovely sharp reflections, but that's not what i'm looking for, i need to reflections to be quite dull (but not noisy) and unfortunately simply increasing the refl subdivs just doesn't clean it up. Reducing the Noise parameter in the DMC helps a bit but it's still not where i would like it to be...

I have never used 1.5 and I just learned these techniques recently but can you tell if the AA is trying to clean it up? How far up have you gone on the refl. subdivs? If you remember in the O'connell video he has some relatively high subdiv settings although his render time was dropping rather than going up. Are your GI and lighting passes clean? IDK if you want to see the reflection with any clarity I find .7 a bit low, what if you bump it to .85 or so?

What if you do a material override on everything with a matte (meaning no reflection) material. Could be another issue contributing possibly a geometry issue or something. Also try giving it a render with everything but the offending area overridden with the matte material. You can also try starting over with the offending material, maybe it got screwed up along the way and quickly reproducing it may yield better results.

Post a pic

Agree.

I have V-Ray 1.5 also and since my only use is for fun, I will not be upgrading any time soon although I would love to have the latest version. These days I can't afford expensive toys.

Show an image of what you have so far or what you are trying to recreate.

but i'm only using vray 1.5 and the sample rate pass doesn't show as much information as the one used in later versions...

As I understand it the VraySampleRate pass in 1.5 shows as much information, just in a different way than 2.4 does in those excellent tut's. It simply shows sampling as Dark Blue (least) to Light blue (most) as opposed to the "heat map" Blue through to Red in 2.4

Admittedly it's a lot easier to read in 2.4 but I don't believe that having 1.5 should be a major impediment to working through those tut's.

CG

As I understand it the VraySampleRate pass in 1.5 shows as much information, just in a different way than 2.4 does in those excellent tut's. It simply shows sampling as Dark Blue (least) to Light blue (most) as opposed to the "heat map" Blue through to Red in 2.4

Admittedly it's a lot easier to read in 2.4 but I don't believe that having 1.5 should be a major impediment to working through those tut's.

CG

Hey mate

thanks for the info, i wasn't sure what way was which!!!

Turn off GI and render, inspect the Lighting render element. Noise in direct lit areas? Increase light subdivisions.

Is noise gone in directly lit areas? No? Inspect Reflection and SampleRate. Increase material samples for noise broad areas.

Fix the noise contributions from the light first.