Brown Living Room - somethings not right..

1395686170.jpg

Studio/Institution: University of Portsmouth
Genre: Residential Interior
Software: 3DS Max 2014, Vray 2.4, Photoshop
Description:

Hello!

I've been working on this interior living room for a personal project and it's just not looking the way I'd like it to. I know the floor texture is too stretched/not high-res enough so I need to change that, but I'm not really sure what else. I am using vRay sun & sky and sky portals for lighting. The image is quite dark but I think that's something to do with my photoshop profile. :/

It's my first time using vRay so any help would be appreciated! Hopefully you guys can spot something obvious that I'm missing.

Thanks for your time!

Edited by louisehunnisett

Hey Louise (If that's your name - we frequently have impostors)

First of all your lens is too wide. A wide angle lens (24 - 35 mm) will deepen your space and make foreground objects look a lot bigger than things behind. So what you have is your table overpowering the couch. Try a 50 or 75 mm lens and see if that improves things.

You rug looks like grass - look up some tutorials. It's a little strange how half rug is orange and half is green (glass) split right down the middle.

Try to soften that visually. Light on ceramics is too harsh. It's creating very distracting lights and darks. Your sunlight is coming in at a rigid 90 degrees. I would have it come in at an angle. Your wall and lamp look dirty/blotchy - very different from the couch.

That lamp needs to be scaled down - it looks GIANT size! It looks like the base is by the couch and the shade is by the table. I would get a cleaner painting with a frame to upscale the decor.

Haha, thank you for the responses guys! :) I am indeed Louise. xD

How does that look so much better?! I guess I'm just starting out so still got a lot to learn. Wish I'd read these comments before re-rendering, I've changed a few things e.g. the lamp size and focal length of the camera, as well as the rug, and started to render again, but now it's saying it's going to take about 8 hours to render! I have upped some of the samples on things to reduce noise, but it was nowhere near that long before...

Any tips for reducing render time?

Thanks again for your replies :)

The fastest rendering/quality will be achieved all render settings are optimized. What point is that will depend on the scene but a V-Ray user who does not learn his tool will always be guessing and working on Pot-Luck. Since 4 weeks ago you mentioned that you are a student, you know the value of studying so, there are 2 tutorials on this link which will teach you concerning your question: http://forums.cgarchitect.com/75838-why-does-noise-increase-so-much-when-vraymtl-refl-glossiness-turned-down.html

Thanks for your response. I have done nothing but study these last few weeks! Haha.

I've already watched the first video on that link about the subdivs etc, and trying to implement some of those techniques made the render time increase.. probably did something wrong. I will give the second video a watch tomorrow.

Here are the 'high-quality' render settings I was using:

settings-1.JPG

settings-2.JPG

settings-4.JPG

settings-3.JPG

Those settings do not look at par with the long render time. What size is the render? What are the materials and their settings?

Well, you have lots of 'experimenting' ahead of you. Good thing this is a personal project and not business with a tight deadline.

Hmm :/

The render size is 1280x960, and the materials are mostly VRayMtl with either texture maps or procedurally generated materials... Some of the subdivs I have put up on the reflective materials, up to like 32 to reduce noise, but it's not even like there's load of reflections going on or hundreds of lights. :/

I have updated the image with some of the things you guys mentioned, so will upload that in a bit for a bit more feedback :)