lilioart

1396752430.jpg

Studio/Institution: lilioart
Client: personal work
Genre: Residential Interior
Software: 3ds max, vray, photoshop
Description:

Hello everyone,

This is an interpretation of an interior space I was at.

The image looks a little grey and I am trying to figure it out to make it 'pop' without having to overexpose the scene ... Maybe changing some colours around? Maybe a nicer coloured rug?

additional renders:

LilyYiu_CMP_2014_03_InteriorNight_Shot03.jpg

Suggesting for improvement is appreciated. ^^

LilyYiu_CMP_2014_03_InteriorNight_Shot02.jpg

I think that the image is already overexposed. At midnight, there would a GI contribution of 0.00, or something very close to that. This means that unless a light is pointing directly at it, there isn't likely to be any illumination. The image, at midnight especially, should be a lot more contrasted. A lot more.

edit: By overexposed I didn't necessarily mean your camera. I was just turning the phrase off an idea in your post. I just think it's too bright. Exposure and brightness are related, but the issue here is balance.

Edited by CoreyMBeaulieu

You need to look at interior magazines (and the world around you!). There are 3 different opening heights. The doorway, the room windows and the windows in the adjacent room. You have a heavy double baseboard that comes to the outside of the door frame (should die into it). The chairs look like they are outdoor patio chairs. The sliding door inset handles on the floor cabinets should be higher rather than lower for easy reach - I guess these were kitchen cabs - in that case they are correct. And there would probable be a base underneath.

Objects on the left cab are repetitious. I would put some interesting stuff on the coffee table - maybe also underneath. The camera looks too big for the tripod. The door/window frames are an unattractive color against that color wall - door doesn't match frame wood.

Just be more observant - some of these oversights are too blatant.

Thank-you, Thank-you!!

Those are all great suggestions.

I am doing a test render now with lower GI, and I think it is getting better illumination-wise.

I don't think the GI contribution would be 0.00 even if it is midnight, considering there's lights coming such as from your neighbours, security lighting of the building next to yours, and the brightly lit moonlight on a clear night ...etc.., and of course there are also artificial lights turned on inside the room and those lights also bounce onto surfaces of different reflectance values.

(And I find it strange that many residential lights were still lit up brightly at 2AM in Hong Kong, and midnight was still so bright over there.)

A lot of families in Asia have bamboo furnitures inside their house, and bamboo is a nice replacement of wood because it is fast grow and it is durable.

Ah, the base for the floor cabinets, I forgot about that! Since it is sliding door, I just assumed you'd use the foot to slide it open. :p

I don't want to make this particular drawing look like a model house, just want it to look like a typical sort-of-occupied home (but of course I don't have a lot of little things in the scene to fill it).

Thanks again for your input, I shall rework on this some more. :)

Edited by lilioart