spammers go on trial, face hard time

Ernest Burden III

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
9 years because of fraud, not spamming...

9 years for fraud, but should have been 25 for the spamming part. :) I bet spamming would stop pretty quickly if just one person got a life sentence for wasting billions of dollars in corporate IT time, investement in spam software, wasted time from employees sifting through spam instaed of work related email and of course all the bandwidth that service providers are having to eat becuase of spam. Sorry, but when you get litterally over a thousand spam emails in a single week, you want to see the people responsible have the book thrown at them.

Well, I agree... Receiving over 150-200 SPAMS a day (every day!!! not counting the automatically deleted ones by my outlook!!!) takes me lots of time to sort out my real mails... Awful!!! Let's get a license to kill the bastards... ;-)

rgds

nisus

when you get litterally over a thousand spam emails in a single week, you want to see the people responsible have the book thrown at them.

I think 9 years in the bighouse is a good start.

A lot of spam is probably crossing international borders, making enforcement nearly impossible. This guy was in the US, and ignored the new laws. But some anonymous freak from Bulgaria, or Russia, or anywhere off your own soil? What is there to do?

Do we really want to start errecting 'border guards' and using 'e-passports' etc. for the web--having incoming traffic filtered through a government bureau? While it might help stop spam and my other problem, spoofing, it lets governments have a hand in something that currently is largely free. When does that even go well?

I still like the idea of voluntary IDs--just like caller ID on a phone. You get verified ID on all incoming email, unless the sender blocks it (allows anonymity) and then I can choose to block all non-IDed email, or not.

But jailtime in the short-term is a good result for those that have decided to ignore the current laws.

I think the point being made earlier though, is that the law is an ass.

Yes, they should get a hefty sentence but how can you say it's fair to get 9 years for swindling money when a guy here got 5 years yesterday for killing an 18 year old girl through drunk driving?

Rapists and murderers get less than 9 years but I agree it's the spammers' sentences that were correct-it should go up from there.

Money (and time spent sifting through emails) can be regained and doesn't come near human tragedy and grief.