conform a line to another

alessandro.eu

Hi,

I have to model a building like the green volume.

Already made by hand with polymodeling but I was wondering if there is a more precise approach.

what I'm trying to do is to conform a spline (the elevation) to another (the plan),

the starting point is an "unwrapped" elevation that needs to conform to the curved plan.

any suggestion?

03.2.jpg

03.3.jpg

01.jpg

If it's an unwrapped elevation, seems using a subdivided plane (quad base mesh is needed for the deform modifier) as the base, shape merging the spline and then using a path deform modifier on the resulting mesh and adding a shell modifier would work and give you an accurate result preserving the ability to edit both the elevation and plan afterward if needed.

path deform.jpg

Edited by John Dollus

If it's an unwrapped elevation, seems using a subdivided plane (quad base mesh is needed for the deform modifier) as the base, shape merging the spline and then using a path deform modifier on the resulting mesh and adding a shell modifier would work and give you an accurate result preserving the ability to edit both the elevation and plan afterward if needed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51147[/ATTACH]

wow seems great!

I tried a bit but I'm already stuck with shape merge modifier :(

I extruded the line on the ground and shape merged the elevation but It doesn't wrap the elevation to the spline on the ground. It seems that it performs a perpendicular projection on the surface.

04.jpg

Ok sort of figured out,

You used shape merge to cut the curve on the surface you used as elevation and then applied the path deform to it.

I noticed that the top faces are not clean so I drew the curve on the elevation by hand (without using shape merge) just moving the vertices of the mesh with a better result.

The only problem I have is that the gizmo of the Path Deform is in a strange position so I had to rotate it by hand (not really accurate) .

why you used an xform modifier?