Importing from Marvelous designer smoothing groups

xjapanese

Hi Guys,

I am testing Marvelous designer.I encounered a problem when importing obj format that i am not sure if it is a smoothing group problem.

After I have wrapped a pillow on the places of the seems ( strangely not even all of them ) I have gradients lines>please see the attachment.I thought it was a smoothing groups problem but after I clear them it is still there.Turbosmooht and Meshmooth 1 level makes it dissappear.What is that ?MD_PRINT_2.jpg

MD_PRINT.jpg

MD_PRINTS.jpg

You need to either add the subdivision smoothing (like you have seen) or decrease the face size in MD (cant remember exactly what they call it but it is in the properties of the fabric pieces. Best way to do it is to simulate a bit and then decrease the size a couple times and run the simulation again and again to get smoother results. No matter what I have been having to add a Turbosmooth of 1, the added benefit is quad topology. If you render it without the turbosmooth or meshsmooth it will look better than in the viewport but it is still a bit jagged IMO.

Hi Jason,

Sorry what do you mean by "IMO"?..I have tried it has nothing to do withe the particle distance ( face size) ..to make sure you uderstood me correct I am not talking about the smoothing of the whole object but only about the black gradient line that is appearing only on some of the stitches.I though the only parameter that defines the look of the polygon as to show such a gradient line is smoothing group normals or texture itself but as it is not either of them I am clueless and should I consider it a bug of the sofware though it looks like it is trying to simulated with the gradient a baked normal somehow for the folding options of the stitch or something....

Thanks

IMO=In my opinion

Right, it only happens at the corner because that is where the sharpest change in direction is. You could try messing with smoothing groups but I doubt you will ever get a good result. I dont understand the downside to simply added a turbosmooth to it. It is not going to add any render time hardly but it fixes your problem right?

I see IMO thanks:)...

well I can do it this way yes but I am curious as why this happens I want to know the mechanism of 3ds max displaying that gradient...Normally I didn't want to use any turbo or meshsmoot as I found a way to produce a better smoothing with less polygons..10 particle distance..quadrify it and then optimize it with prootmizer at certain level and then use turbosmooth..

thanks