Parametric drafting tools

samperryer

I'd just like to see where people are at with parametric technology. While the BIM movement offers many new processes within building design, one thing that has always interested me is how well people have incorporated the tools associated with parametric design and furthermore, the constraints associated with it.

While I have used Revit fairly extensively, it has mainly been at an academic level. I thoroughly enjoy working this program and can make it sing pretty well however, it would be good to hear from a design professional on there experiences on BIM at a drafting capacity (how does it compare to alternatives such as traditional CAD, is this the direction design packages should take?).

-Also whenever I bring this subject up, I always manage to mention my dissertation and today is no exception. I'm just seeing out my final year studying Architectural Technology and any responses to my survey would be highly appreciated.-

http://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/108682UFPYI

Hi Sam. I just took your survey.

Rather than comment directly on your post first, I noticed that a lot of your survey questions revolve around the concept that BIM is the software rather than BIM being a collection of information, experiences, personnel, and methodology. The software is more of the way to bring it all together. The analogy of "which software is best" comes to mind when discussing BIM. The paraphrased analogy goes something like this: "Asking a person which software is best is like asking an artist which brush he likes to use".

The beautiful thing about the collaboration process is that many different software or tools can be used to accomplish the goal. Programs like Navisworks make it possible. It reads dozens of formats and is quite easy to use. Whereas in 2D drafting, you can really only use a few different formats effectively.

As to your question of drafting capacity, there isn't really drafting with this workflow. I for one like the sketchup to Revit workflow due to the freedom in Sketchup and the rigidity of revit. Others like to program their plans with allowable/actual schedules which utilizes the plan information and then draw elevations or perspectives by hand. It really depends on the workflow of the designer prior to BIM.

• 2 weeks later...

Sam,

Bim as in Building information modeling is a process not the software. Although people will now use term "Bim(s)" to refer to the product created by the software and process - the building model.

There is a modeling and a "drafting" aspect to Revit. I would say that one of the things that is by far the most challenging to people who are new to using Revit is not the modeling, but the drafting and information component.

The difference between CAD and Revit when it comes to generating construction documents is that revit's output (the 2d view) is an orchestrated mix of modeled elements, 2d lines and text all controlled by their specific display properties, "automatic" cut planes, etc - everything revit is; Whereas a CAD (2d autocad) drawing is just lines and text. This meas that the ability to produce proper CD's in Revit lies in the revit user's ability and understanding of how all the items mentioned above work together. In an autocad workflow, it's just lines... CAD is easier to manipulate at the cost of a completely manual workflow. I prefer Revit 100 time over, and I am lucky that my firm understands that.

What is it important in the Revit workflow is to know what to model and what not to model the same as, what needs to be drawn and what can be addressed with a simple note. I think that the success of this lies in having a clear understanding of Bim LODs and of course having some experience doing real construction documents.

To conclude, I agree with Jason (Except the drafting part - there is drafting in Revit and I am not talking about details in drafting views.)

If you have other questions let us know. It would be helpful if you were to post what area of the world you are from.