Physical Camera vs normal camera..

Sherif Massoud

I always use the vray camera, the flexibility of it is sensational. The ONLY time I use the standard camera (always in conjunction with the vray exposure control) is when I am doing completely flat elevations/orthographic views, and that is it.

Sometimes I like to rebel and use the vray camera, but turn off exposure. Take that vray!

Imho the only notable difference now is easy 'Shift' tool. Well worth it.

Exposure and WhiteBalance per camera is something I never used anyway because I adjust both in post. I've kept it under Exposure tab always so I could do quick test renders from viewport.

I don't understand why it has both iso AND shutter speed. More confusion. The only time you would use shutter speed in the real world would be it you wanted something sharp and you were afraid of moving (high speed) or if you wanted to intentionally use a low speed to get a an artistic blur (the way renderings fake people and car blurs in Photoshop.

I used to do candid shots of people on the street with a Leica (those Germans know how to make precise stuff (Mies)) and it wasn't even a SLR (always shot quickly so careful framing was not an issue) . 35 mm lens at f-16 always gave you max depth of field (you could forget about focus) so you just played with the shutter speed, period.

It's fun to pan with a fast car or bike rider at a low speed - subject is sharp - background a horizontal blur.

Edited by heni30

I don't understand why it has both iso AND shutter speed. More confusion.

You're saying in one breath having camera settings in vray is confusing, but having them on a real camera isn't?

ISO is a part of photography, and thus a part of a render engine that simulates light. I really don't understand what is confusing about it? How else would you do an animation with motion blur and get the exposure right?

If one doesn't match DOF/Motion blur to real footage for physicall correctness of real-life lenses and shutters, it's there simply for convenience of photographers who like to think in real life measures they learned and use in photography.

People like myself, who picked CGI first, and photography afterwards, do use purely much more comfortable and logical multipliers with unlocked DOF/MB as separate multipliers, with zero connection to photography controls (which act as the very same single thing, and make adjusting DOF in artistic way only as hindrance, as unlocked DOF is much more preferable, something real photographers only dream of and go to extreme measure to overcome...but CGI folks often emulate stuff for zero reason to death...see ChromaAbbe'....).

Well, there are some special people who think it does make difference if you use ISO parameter in CGI but....those are everywhere.

And then...some people obsess too much about it as well, but, that is the very standard of archviz.

The camera settings give an aggregate exposure, you could do it via a multiplier much more simply, but the reasons to have these settings out weigh the reasons not to.

One reason (in addition to the ones mentioned above) is that you can match settings from meta-data in existing photography to match a plate. Digital cameras will not give you an exposure multiplier to match, just the result of available light on the sensor - as a result of the camera settings. Therefore, to reverse engineer, you need the VrayCamera settings.