Using real location data, sun is wrong

Roodogg

Hi guys, doing a photomontage and thought I'd match the daylight system to the photo... using a standard 3ds Max daylight system.

I've set it to the city, date and time photo was taken, made sure the compass is facing north, yet the sun seems to be facing completely opposite to the way it is in the photo (Although it's somewhat overcast, being in Manchester).

Is there anything else I need to do?

Cheers in advance.

40 Degrees is a lot, but have you appropriately ticked on/off the Daylight Savings box? Daylight Savings is from March to November, roughly.

Edit: About nicnic's remark to just move it 'til it's right.... that will, yes get the job done, but my experience with the daylight system has been that it works great so I would be led to believe that something else is up.

Edited by CoreyMBeaulieu

Be certain your compass is located at the origin point (0,0,0) or your sun position will drift away from an accurate simulation. Having said that, the fact that your sun is off by 40 degrees suggests something else is wrong with your setup. Which directrion is it off anyway, Azimuth or Altitude?

Joel

When was the photo created ? Is this a fresh scene and you created the daylight system from scratch ?

AFAIK The insane thing is that the daylight system calculates it's position ( when using date/time) using an offset to the summer solstice of the year you CREATED the daylightsystem. this leads to those positioning errors when those years differ ( at least if i'm not crazy or missunderstood large parts of the sourcecode )

Sounds crazy, but i had a look at the sourcecode of the plugin, fixed and recompiled it ( source comes with the Max SDK samples ) , as you can't set the date/time with maxscript using date/time values, but only offset values to the summer solstice...

That would be a major overlook IMO.

I've been using this system for quite some time with good results. I didn't know about this. Have I just been lucky when matching my daylight to photos all this time?

I definitely want to know more.

EDIT: Ok, I've always done my daylight from scratch. I understand your point. I should try in an old scene and see what happens.

Edited by salvador

When was the photo created ? Is this a fresh scene and you created the daylight system from scratch ?

AFAIK The insane thing is that the daylight system calculates it's position ( when using date/time) using an offset to the summer solstice of the year you CREATED the daylightsystem. this leads to those positioning errors when those years differ ( at least if i'm not crazy or missunderstood large parts of the sourcecode )

Sounds crazy, but i had a look at the sourcecode of the plugin, fixed and recompiled it ( source comes with the Max SDK samples ) , as you can't set the date/time with maxscript using date/time values, but only offset values to the summer solstice...

Doesnt this mean you'd have to wait a few years for the daylight system to be wrong? Or am I mis-reading this post?