how to do a "rendered" top view / elevation floor plan. Was it done using 3D Max or?

izumiaiko

Any 3d/rendering software will do floorplans. Just set your camera above?

The section looks like it's been taken straight out of a CAD package and worked on a bit in photoshop.

Yes I do understand you can do just take from top view, but how did he manage to take from top view WHILE at the same time ensuring that the floorplan is 1:100 scale?

do you have any idea how to do it?

You scale the image in AutoCAD. Once you get your render out, take it to AutoCAD, and use the scale/reference function. You draw a known dimension on the image and when AutoCAD rescales the image you are pretty close to an accurate scale. Then set up your sheet view to whatever scale you want, 1:100, 1:1, 3/16, etc.

You scale the image in AutoCAD. Once you get your render out, take it to AutoCAD, and use the scale/reference function. You draw a known dimension on the image and when AutoCAD rescales the image you are pretty close to an accurate scale. Then set up your sheet view to whatever scale you want, 1:100, 1:1, 3/16, etc.

ok I will try now.

BTW just anothr qns before I get started,

I had always been facing trouble putting my autocad drawings into adobe illustrator. So usually I will save myillustrator as PDF and drag it into Illustrator. is that way correct?

You can open a DWG natively in Illustrator. All you have to check is what version of AutoCAD will open in your version of AI. You will have to downgrade your CAD file to the right core version (2013, 2010, 2007). Most likely, 2007 will open just fine.

About the main topic, you can do this kind of plans and elevations in Sketchup / Layout with shadows and all.

Good luck.

The renderings are probably straight from Revit, and drawings have been overlaid in PDF (in either PS or AI) or DWG form (AI) over the rendered jpegs/bitmaps.

You can do top-down renders in 3DS using the visibility range plane options in camera's, but you would get "realistic" shadows (i.e. no sun through the "invisible" ceiling/roof, only through the actual openings facing the sky system).

Revit's section box method gives you this "chopped-in-half" effect like in OP images.

Edited by dtolios