Living room for a portfolio

I probably have a bit more of a traditional view of this sort of thing but to me living rooms don't exist in the middle of a windswept Icelandic plain in isolation like this, and full height, full width windows in that living room would be unlikely. So you're stretching credulity from the start.

There would be a path around the house, there would be some sort of windbreak, trees, fence, bund anything to anchor and protect the house in that isolated spot in the middle of nowhere. There would be some sort of window treatment, big heavy curtains or shutters even, otherwise that nice fire is working just to heat the outside, in all probability the window would be smaller, have a sill and a head etc. So as far as the basic concept it's not working for me. I've been in some remote houses in the arctic circle and they were nothing like this, they were dark, warm and soft and never in the middle of a plain.

Technically it's probably OK, but I'd still expect the view outside to be more burnt. The sofa is nice, I'm not sure of the same floor finish on the wall and again, personally, even if I was after a matte finish on the floor, I would expect a bit more life in the reflections. All in all it feels a bit like a cell so I'd be trying to contrast the cold blues outside with some warmer yellow / orange light colours inside and try and get a more welcoming feel because at the moment It lacks a bit of focus and believe-ability, to my eye anyway.

This is no consistent decor throughout. The left side seems stylish with those lamps and tree cut-outs but then you have these 2 unattractive wood stumps for a coffee table and a very bizarre bleached wood tv base that clashes with the color of the wood floor. The rug shape seems arbitrary. It doesn't seem like a natural shape and yet it seems like a confused intentional shape.

The wood floor looks like it has real gaps between the planks. The base board looks like a small crown molding that normally would go on a ceiling.

There are some confused items on the tv stand - they're small books that visually get mixed up with the white wood and with the background outside.

So it looks like a designer came in and did the left side of the space but then there was an argument and he left and the owner had to finish up the job.

Since you have elegant white on the left side with the trees and the lamp bases I think an elegant white tv base would balance things out.

Edited by heni30