Adaptive DMC, noise, subdivs

Jon Berntsen

Hi

I have for a long time had trouble with getting good results with the Adaptive DMC in vray, used together with HDR dome and Forest Pack. The default settings are really really noisy, though I know that the default settings are never to be used anyway.

I manage to get the basic areas pretty good both with the sample rate pass and removing the noise from reflection and light passes. However, I end up with really high subdivs (from 256-600) to achieve this, and this makes the render totally slow on the vegetation and on the edges as well. As soon as I switch to adaptive subdivision, I can achieve almost the same result in just a fraction of the time (with down-to-earth settings). To actually get the projects done within the deadline, I need to switch back to adaptive subdivision "this time too". Now and then I try the DMC.

This means, I am relying to adaptive subdivision when I do stills. According to every post I read, I should be using DMC. I am on Vray 2.4. Have anyone encountered this problem before, and did anyone solve it? I mean, I want to use DMC, because I am also going to do more animations pretty soon.

What do you guys do to achieve liveable rendertimes with the DMC when rendering complex stuff?

Its a how long is a string question

It depends on each situation. You're not giving enough info for us to give a good answer. 256-600 sounds way too high (unless that is specific to your hdri) Depending on your HDRI, you can get away with 128 to 512 subdivs. For your glossy materials (depending on glossy) you can go for something between 32 and 256. Non Dome lights somewhere between 32 and 128

Without some screenshots however, those numbers doesnt mean much