help with interiors

Sandking

1400569309.jpg

Studio/Institution: private
Genre: Commercial Interior
Software: Blender
Description:

Hi,

I'm not very good at interiors and to be honest I feel like I'm going in circles and getting frustrated not doing much progress. I just don't know how much stuff should I add, what angle should be better and such. I know I need to add more details, kitchen stuff and such but I just don't feel the composition. I don't know if the issue is specific space here or my lack of imagination. In the entry image I changed some stuff - camera front view, some painting on the wall, pro design wooden bench and such but still I'd like to hear some feedback.

0003.jpg

0004.jpg

By simply adding more details, your interiors will become more better even twice.

Its a common mistake to make empty white room, and starting to ask yourself, "Why this does not look like a pro?"

So, add some details. For geting "deepness", its a good advice to have a difuse light, instead of direct. Try it. Just turn of your VraySun, or rotate it to look at oposite direction.

And, turn down saturation, under GI common settings, to 0.25-0.5, defolt 1.0 is too much.

Good luck!

Try not to get frustrated - realise that when you're making these images, you're taking on multiple roles, all of which need to line up well to form the perfect image. You need composition/photography skills, lighting, interior design, architecture, its pretty crazy!

First thing that stuck out to me with your image was the camera angle - are you using a really wide angle lens? Or is the room just huge? I imagine sometimes its worth fighting the urge to show everything in a scene in one shot, hence making it super-wide.

I think I'm not through admin acceptation to post freely so my posts don't come up in time and it looks like I'm not into it :/

Jay - I'm using 24 or 26 mm lens here as it were the one I read is best for shooting wide angle interiors for property sellers. But maybe you got something here. Issue is that I can't get much farther away as the camera is next to the doors so I decided to use wide angles. I will be doing tests and posting them here. It's my first real interior and to be honest I never realized how overwhelming it is compared to exteriors and it's irony that I'm stuck on something I always imagined would be easier.

p.s.

Looks like I'm unblocked and can't post instantenously. NOW I CAN ACTIVATE SPAM BOTS!!! Just kidding ;)

Zdravko - I'm afraid adding too much stuff not to overclutter the scene but I'll definitely add something. I was thinking about making a 180 degree change (literally) and do shot like this Matryoshka-House-Entry-Space-Interior-Design.jpg

I'm using Blender but I'll check out your suggestion about sun.

Edited by Sandking

I think I'm not through admin acceptation to post freely so my posts don't come up in time and it looks like I'm not into it :/

Jay - I'm using 24 or 26 mm lens here as it were the one I read is best for shooting wide angle interiors for property sellers. But maybe you got something here. Issue is that I can't get much farther away as the camera is next to the doors so I decided to use wide angles. I will be doing tests and posting them here. It's my first real interior and to be honest I never realized how overwhelming it is compared to exteriors and it's irony that I'm stuck on something I always imagined would be easier.

p.s.

Looks like I'm unblocked and can't post instantenously. NOW I CAN ACTIVATE SPAM BOTS!!! Just kidding ;)

Zdravko - I'm afraid adding too much stuff not to overclutter the scene but I'll definitely add something. I was thinking about making a 180 degree change (literally).

I'm using Blender but I'll check out your suggestion about sun.

p.p.s.

Ok, it looks like I can't post links to images, that's why my posts were filtered :/

Some tips:

Modelling from real world dimensions always adds realism; under the scene tab you can set Blenders units to Imperial or Metric rather than the arbitrary blender units.

Whatever material you are trying to make look up references for that specific material (walls flooring, roofs, etc.). It looks like you just pasted a wood floor material. Andrew Price has an excellent tutorial for realistic textures in Blender (assuming you are using cycles).

Think about who will (co)habitate and what items they will bring in, what items they'd need for comfort, etc.

For lighting always use HDRI maps; right now it looks like you're using the integrated skymap for Blender which won't give you the realism you are striving for. Also during a daytime scene never use artificial light.

Add more "passive" items and furnishings; things you wouldn't look twice at in your own home but you'd notice if they were gone: tables, chairs, bookshelf, lamp, etc.

Make it look more alive: add opened books, glasses, plates, etc. And don't be afraid to use pre-made/3rd party models; all the pros do!

Don't try to make your raw render you're final image; post-processing in Photoshop or Gimp is always good.

Also for compositions/camera; try not to rotate the camera up or down, a straight lens looks best! :)

Edited by abdulmuminsmith

This forum is soooo frustrating. I just wrote a long reply and it's gone.... WTF? :|

Anyway - I agree with all your remarks and are quite helpful but some questions. Is there any difference when setting metric units in Blender? I assume 1 BU = 1 m and that's all. I will use HDRI but to be honest only today I found out a good node setup for it and I still seek for good free ones (I don't have budget now to get commercial but I'll be there sometime, let's hope, soon). What do you mean by not adding artificial lights? Like turned on lamps and such? Because where I look they add emission planes in the windows to add more light into rooms? Thanks for the great input (as I said - my reply was longer but the forum ate it :/ ).

You are very welcome for the input. You are correct, Blender Units and Meters are a 1:1 ratio. Andrew Price has provided two HDRI maps in the free Architecture Academy starter pack (along with some other cool stuff) which he provides a node setup for in a tutorial. With HDRI maps you will not have to use mesh lights or lamps as it is a physically based map and will light everything with real world accuracy.

• 2 weeks later...

Some more work in progress with lower sample renders. Need to do more post production especially with food on the table. Also perspective in one of them is still wrong and view outside the window will be corrected. First one is still not my favourite, but the second is slowly coming to life.

0003.jpg

0004.jpg

for Straight Camera View try Vertical Shift. Are you using VRay Physical Camera ? and Try to use some HDRI lighting too. It will give more effect of Realistic. for Shadow Subdivs. In VRay Sun options we can see Subdivs frequently i use 24 Subdivs for Exteriors. Are you using VRay Sun ? for Reduce the Blurryness for Wood Material. In Refl.Glossiness i frequently use 0.8.5 for Floor Materials. All the best Sir :)

for Straight view. click on the Guess Vert. if you using VRayPhysicalCamera. for The Wood Material reducing the Blurryness. Frequently i use Refl.Glossiness : 0.85 for Every Floor Material. For reducing the Artifacts on the Shadows. In the Subdivs frequently use 24 Subdivs in the VRaySun. if you are using the VRaySun. All the best sir :)

Much better! You should use an excellent addon called archimesh, it allows you to create Windows doors roofs and rooms among many other things with incredible ease. It also creates default cycles materials as well as uv maps. I can't link it right now as I'm on mobile.

Edited by abdulmuminsmith

• 5 months later...