WIP: Kitchen Renderr

1401569789.jpg

Studio/Institution: None/Myself
Genre: Commercial Interior
Software: 3DSMAX, VRAY
Description:

Hi there, wonder if you guys could help me improve my skills in realistic rendering. This work is for my own personal skillset. I've always wanted to be able to create great CG work, hopefully your advice can help make that a reality. Please critique my work, thanks :)

Edited by jagjitrana

The first 3 things to do when you are aiming for realistic renders is

1st: model a design that could exist in reality. No in some fantastical reality, but a kitchen that would exist in a real home. You have done this here, but this kitchen is a lower end kitchen and really isn't that interesting- in my opinion. My kitchen at home wouldn't be either. You should look into Pinterest or Houzz or just google for kitchen designs and try to copy it.

2nd: You should use a realistic composition. An aspect ration that a real camera would put out and a scene that a real photographer would use.

3rd: Lighting should be realistic. Windows should be present or at least implied allowing more GI in the scene and artificial lights should be softer and not a plane. Your light on the top right wall doesn't match the room's light fixtures. Either way, You don't want a flat sense of lighting, you want to get a nice sense of source and direction and then post production will help with balance and contrast.

After these 3 things are met, it's all a matter of details.

My criticism would be:

In your image, the handles on the cabinet doors are really out of scale to the door. Why would someone leave a door open if there isn't anything inside? Your hood vent is not above your oven/stove top. the stools surround island which would mean that someone sitting on the left would get burned by the oven/stove top. The tile grout is really big. What is the room on the right? The lights are really "hot" and you can see the sphere used and it isn't centered to the fixture.

The list can go on, as it can for anyone's image, but I think if you are interested in learning, these are the things that give away the fact that the image is a render. Post production will help sell the mood of the image, but details need to be present in a way that feels real before you can worry about that.

First of all thank you for responding, I don't know how I missed the hood vent area. I had a better look at existing renders/designs. I've attempted to sort out the first render, and here is my follow up:

testRender2.jpg

Think it seems much better, definitely seems less flat to me personally. What you do you think? Bulk of the light is coming through the window. Does the main light source need to be in the actual frame or is this is not needed?

I agree this is much better. I don't think you need to see the window as long as your balance stay similar to this. We may not see the window, but I don't question where it is off screen.

I don't want to go too crazy with comments this time, but I will say to mind you scale. Tables, chairs, counters all seem a bit low and squat. Likewise the upper cabinets are short and placed high.

I would just look into the standard heights of things and make sure you scene matches up. That will take you another big leap forward I think.

testrender3.jpg

Had a look at the various measurements of each particular object. The height between the hood/hob was quoted at 650mm for electric. The space between the wall units and the worktop was quoted from 460mm to 600mm in some cases, chose a value of 500mm. It does definitely look better.

testrender3.jpg

Whilst I can't comment on making it more realistic, i will comment on the camera angle you've chosen.

Its probably best to throw it more to the left of this image, with the target more towards the window. I say this because the end of the cabinets are missing from the image on the right side, whilst in the left its simply plain wall. Always try and get things like the cabinets entirely in the image, especially if you've got all that space taken up by a blank wall on the left.

testRender4.jpg

Hmm. I've decided to make more use of the space on the left, with consideration to not wasting space. Also added other geometry such as a fridge and fruit bowl. Additionally is there a way to get rid of the sunlight effect on the floor?

I like the changes you've made so far, it's a great improvement. I'm new at this too, but here's my two cents worth...

First, I personally wouldn't get rid of the sunlight...it's a nice touch. What you might consider doing is put something in front of that light source to simulate a tree, window frame, etc. to cast a shadow on the floor. It will add a bit of detail to what is a bit of a dead space, and balance out the scene a bit better.

Second, the bottom cupboards, counter top and backsplash all merge together because they're all light colors...I can't tell at a glance where one begins and the other ends. To me, your black coffee pot looks like it's floating in space, and it's a bit disconcerting. Maybe make the counter top dark (something like a black marble) to create separation between the cupboards and backsplash. There are some other possiblilities too...change the camera angle to be slightly higher and pointing downwards so you can see the top of the counter. This will also take advantage of the lighting in the room to pick up the shadows. Shadows, after all, create the sense of depth in a flat picture.

It's already been mentioned to add some stuff to the glass cupboards and counter tops, but I'll pass on a suggestion I heard recently, and it made a lot of sense to me. Think up a story for the scene - who lives here? Is it a family, a working couple, a retired person? What ages? What interests do they have? Foodies? Computer and gadget geeks? Into modern or retro? A story will help you decide what to use to populate your scene, and create a bit more interest.

• 2 weeks later...

Added a few more things to make it seem like someone is living there. Scenario I've chosen is that a few students live in a private apartment, and that they are moderately messy/lazy. They will clean up from time to time but not all the time. Here it is:

testrender6.jpg

Again, a big improvement. There are a couple of things from a technical standpoint that I would consider changing. First, move the plate on the right side of the frame slightly to the left. The edge of the plate lines up with the edge of the table, and having edges of things aligned creates a sense of tension, which may not be what you want. Moving it to the left will also frame it better on the table. Same problem with the glass of red liquid - the top of the glass is lined up with the edge of the black counter. Move it slightly forward.

I'm not sure what's supposed to be hanging over the back of the chair on the right - towels? placemats? If it's towels, the drape is too stiff. Either way, you could change the pattern to add a bit of bright color here. The scene is fairly monochromatic, and that would be a way to add a bit more color and visual interest. Also, it looks like there's food on the floor - but it doesn't really work. There's no shadow around it to add depth and form, and it blends too much to the floor - I barely saw it. Right now, it looks like it was just photoshopped in.

The ceiling line is a bit bland. I would try a crown moulding along the edge between the ceiling and wall. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, a simple half-round would be good. But make it a light color, similar to what's on the cupboards so it doesn't get lost. I like what you've done to add a bit of a story line, but you could go further...students would have gadgets around (phones, tablets etc) and textbooks. There might also be notes tacked to the refrigerator. Depends just on how far you want to go with the story line.

Its a very nice job, I specially liked the ceiling. Very nice job there.

I would double check the black marble texture size, looks a bit too big, and lower a bit the brightness of the stuff in the table (might be easyer in postproduction)

Also are the cabinets (sorry for my bad english not sure how to call them) supposed to have light inside them? Looks like they have, if they are supposed to have try to make it a bit more yellowish to match the rest of artificial lighting

Thanks for replying, I was playing around a little bit more with the shutter speed of the vray camera, and found a less washed out look. Additionally adjusted the color of those lights in the cabinets to a light yellowish hue and reduced the multiplier.

testRender8.jpg

• 3 weeks later...