WIP personal 1960s recreation

1401692236.jpg

Studio/Institution: none
Client: personal
Genre: Residential Exterior
Software: SketchUp, 3DS Max, Corona A6
Description:

Just starting a project to recreate this image as closely as possible (maybe minus some of the film grain) of Colin Lucas's Canada Estate in Rotherhithe, London.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51352[/ATTACH]

Awesome high rise residential building from the 60's that are repeated around South London. No sections or elevations online so working by eye from photo references.

Starting the modelling of it in SketchUP using components for the two different kind of floors. This way i can progressively add detail and the whole building will be generated with the 20 or so instanced floors.

Will take it into max to refine and add environment once enough detail is added in SketchUp.

Some reference photos and WIP in sketchup:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51353[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51354[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51355[/ATTACH]

attachment.php?attachmentid=51355

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51356[/ATTACH]

attachment.php?attachmentid=51357

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51357[/ATTACH]

attachment.php?attachmentid=51358

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51358[/ATTACH]

attachment.php?attachmentid=51356

maxwellfire clay.jpg

Edited by joshduncan

you should take the plunge and model it in max like a real 3D artist

Ouch! But funny as hell

Cant seem to get the right focal length or FOV at the moment. Will worry about that later.

Move back a fair amount

That photo looks like something my father would have rendered. It is well composed and graphic, really nice inspiration image.

Actually the software does not make a real 3D artist, the software is just a tool.

Good work so far Josh, it is a very stunning image in deed, look forward to see your progress on this one.

hmm interdarsting response, i completely agree. maybe you are trolling me yet im unaware.

image is looking good, however im not a fan of that arrowway dirty concrete texture as the tiling is too visible for my liking.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know where i could find a half decent 60's model car for free?

Also, thinking about using a simple zdepth fog trick to recreate those hazed background buildings. It doesn't seem to be a very complex fog with any volumetric light so should be okay. Thoughts?

Edited by joshduncan

I was just reading this thread and really like the subject you've chosen when I realised that this tower (well, an identical version of) features in a backplate from an interior I worked on earlier this year! It's the pair on the Somerset Estate further up on the river. Anyway, I don't think you'll get any detail out of the attached over and above the references you already have but just out of interest - this is how the same buildings on the Somerset Estate are looking nowadays from across the river.

Looking forward to seeing how your images work out.

Somerset Estate.jpg

Somerset Estate 2.jpg