Powerful laptops

No.

Laptops have to take into account power usage, which is why they always have specially designed "mobile" processors. You could certainly put a top end Xeon processor into a laptop, but you wouldn't expect the battery to live very long, and given that the primary design point of a laptop is portability it renders it pretty much useless as anything other than a paperweight... Unless of course you always have access to power whilst you're out and about.

The only other way it might catch up to the PC in terms of processing power is if the power gap between mobile & desktop processors narrows significantly.

I still don't think so, unless technology shrinks considerably. How would you fit a large graphics card, or several graphics cards into such a small form factor?

Never say never, but at the moment it seems fairly unlikely. The problem with laptops is that it's a simple case of "what you see is what you get", whereas a PC is almost infinitely upgradable and expandable. Over the years I've upgraded PC's that should have been on the scrapheap countless times and brought them back to life, but had I had a laptop I don't think that this would have been the case.

Smaller form factor PC's however are always welcome, but again just how small is "too small". At which point does it begin to compromise what components you can/can't change?

Perhaps someone else disagrees.

Even if a laptop was as good as a desktop, I'd still want monitors, mouse, keyboard, etc.

I use a laptop when working from home, and it's great, but I wouldn't like to use one 8 hours a day.

Also PCs are easy to build and change parts to upgrade / replace, where as laptops aren't.

tablets/ultrabooks/chromebooks etc will be used as laptops are used today.

If I were the type to commute and work on the go, etc I would definitely get myself a Windows Surface Pro. Those things are absolutely fantastic, and aren't just for dicking around on the internet; you can actually get proper work done on them.

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-gb/products/surface-pro-3

One of the guys here does lots of photoshop work on his Surface Pro at home, and absolutely loves it.