Simple Interior Project

1402678082.jpg

Studio/Institution: Personal
Client: NA
Genre: Residential Interior
Software: 3ds max, VRay
Description:

Its been over a year since I've done any personal work, and its been driving me mad. So decided to set myself a target of getting one small(ish) project done every other month from now on, unless I start something a little bigger.

This is the first, started a couple of weekends ago and had a bit of time today to get some lights pretty much finalized, though I'll have to see what the IES's on the left look like once it's textured.

Its based on an image I found on archdaily

A 2k version of the image can be found here

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Add a cord running from the lamp to a wall outlet.

Personally, I'd like to see some reading materials on a small table beside the chair or something similar. Magazines, comics...etc. A glass or water, too? It seems like an overcast, relaxed/creative mood-inducing kind of day. I like it.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Dan,

Can you tell us how you made the herringbone parquet?

Is it a map or are the pieces modeled?

The planks are individually modeled with random mapping coordinates using Mass Randomiser script.

dont put anything on the empty piece of wall, it needs to stay empty. The composition will lose focus if you pepper it with objects, the negative space over there balances the chair nicely.

Thanks for the feedback Tom, I understand what you're saying and I'm not happy that you have made me question my concept :p .

The picture frames are going, they were never really part of the image, they were just there to help balance everything a little more as a draft.

So where can I put my bike??? I dont think it would work if the bike replaced the picture frames, I had intended on removing the frames and adding the bike in the currently empty space.

It looks great except for the albino chair. Just too white, I think. And the white top is going into the wall white.

Thanks heni30. I really like the chair white/cream but I can see why its a problem with the wall, I'd be more inclined to change the wall colour, and maybe darken the chair slightly.

Well youve done it a bit arse about face, because your lighting, materials, etc are great but the composition should really be the frst thing you nail down.

I dont like the 3 picture frames, but compositionally they actually work. The chair is having a conversation with the lamp, they have room to breath and the picture frames are like thought bubbles. The door to the left gives definition to the space. The negative space, in the center, gives lightness to the composition.

So the problem is what tot put where the picture frames are. this question would not arise if your image had been composed rather than assembled on gut. With a more modern architecture you could have a wall decal. Maybe a pot plant? Maybe a shadow that suggests something stage right? I dont know. Because the door hangs off the left, I'd be against having something cut to the right too.

Your other option would be to open the door. Lose the picture frames entirely and the depth of the scene will balance the empty top? Good excuse for some DOF too....

Haha, yeah I completely agree. I started out with a plan, making the chair the key feature in a pretty simple scene but in all honesty it just looked shit, and I didnt want to just ditch everything and start over.

Thanks for your suggestions, I was thinking about replacing the picture frames with a shelf before I decided on the bike. Looks like I'm going to have to have a think about what i want to do.

Cheers.

• 5 weeks later...