should i switch to rhino from 3ds max ??

shayanf

hey guys... Im an architecture student and iwant to work as a 3d modeler and visualizer... for that purpose I'v tried to learn 3ds max as an all-rounder (BTW i know how to use autocad-sketchup-photoshop and a bit of vray ) but the problem is although i've put considerable amount of time on learning 3ds max i still dont seem to get comfortable with it ...! i mean modeling almost everything is full of problems . so i thought maybe i should start learning rhino and model everything in it and then export it to max for rendering with vray...... so what do you think ?? is rhino really more handy and easy to use ?? is it suitable for regular architecture ( i mean like modeling a normal apartment or a minimalistic villa ) or is it just best for organic shapes and stuff like that ?? and what about interior design ?? does it have the right tools for modeling small details and decorative stuff ?? what about elevation design ?? and finally does rendering an exported rhino file (exported with npower plugin ) in max affects the rendering time ?

Thank U so so much for your time....and pls give a complete answer :))

• 4 months later...

Hello,

Max and Rhino are different.

Rhino is NURBS modeler which provide wide range of tools for architects, industrial designers etc. but this is program which allow you to design stuff and make it ( CNC, 3d printing, documentation making - cause NURBS are very precise / for eg. curve is driven by math formula / also with grasshopper can be parametric modeler - and here organic stuff is ) and if you wish render it with 3rd party renderer like Thea, Maxwell, Octane or Vray etc.

Max is a mesh modeler it can easily handle big meshes edit vertex an so on. But Max is only for CG sometimes models from Max can be 3d printed or conceptual designing but surfaces are created on mesh and mesh is builded with vertex and facets mainly triangles or quads. Subdivisions makes meshes soft and nice but only for renderes.

It depends what you really want to do... If only CG for nice looking renders do it with Max or if Exterior / Interior / Industial designing and making good documentation do it with Rhino.

At the end everything is always going to something like PS to bring in life with composing passes, matte painting, color and brightness correction etc.

Personaly I dont like Max cause of several things like price unfriendly GUI etc. better choice for me was Rhino for precision docs and creating stuff for other not tech stuff i use blender its free and nice and can do the same what max do and there is large friendly society and lots of tutorials.

Here is what i do with rhino and thea

Here also in rhino by Flyingarchitecture

and here with blender by Tom Svilans

Take your time and do it right remember any program wont do anything without your experience and knowledge :)

Choose your path ;)

I think you need to consider your desired output. Max was designed to only output a model or a picture. Rhino is much more robust and aims to produce drawings and mathematically accurate models for CNC milling.

If all you want to do is output pictures then your best bet is Max in my opinion. If you find yourself wanting to be more versatile, then Rhino is a great option.

• 6 months later...

Hi,

I thought I give my cents on this.

As the others said. It depends on what you want to do! I find rhino a very usefull tool as an architect.. but it doesn't do the same thing as archicad or revit. But for smaller scale project and specially school projects I think it is great!!

When concidering rendering I did the modeling in rhino and exported the modells to max for rendering. I use vray. I found vray for max easier and more intuitive. However the modells get really heavy and you cant change much when in max so I found it VERY time consuming and BOORING to sit around exporting all day. Now I have decided to learn vray for rhino to speed up my workflow. So for someone who has tried what you might be thinking I recommend you to stay in one program and just take the setbacks and live with them and learn to work around them cos at the end of the day I think you'll save time.

My best wishes to you!