vray light will not exclude .skp geometry

heni30

I imported a .skp model and there are a couple of ceiling slabs that I'm telling a vray plane that is above to exclude but they continue to block the light. They are editable meshes now.

Any suggestions. I can easily put in new slabs but I was trying to see what the issue is.

Edited by heni30

I imported a .skp model and there are a couple of ceiling slabs that I'm telling a vray plane that is above to exclude but they continue to block the light. They are editable meshes now.

Any suggestions. I can easily put in new slabs but I was trying to see what the issue is.

Are they grouped or brought in as components from sketchup? And are you importing as .skp or as another file format (just want to be sure). I recently adopted the workflow of importing as skp files directly, sometimes objects especially those i've grouped and made components tend to have problems in max usually when the components are not unified with regards to the material applied.

Instead of excluding, you could just hide them if it proves too much trouble.

Hey, It's a large file of a dozen stores in a mall - 166 mgs. I tried importing directly (Max 2014) and I got tired of waiting for 10 minutes and nothing happening so I exported as a .3ds. Everything was given the same material to begin with.

Like I said - this was very simple - but what if you are dealing with a hundred balconies and some components are excluding and some aren't?

I just wanted to get to the bottom of the cause.

Could normals facing the wrong way interfere with exclusion from the VRay light? Maybe you could compare the offending geometry with another slab that's letting light through and see if there's an obvious difference. Or check to see if the geometry is within some kind of grouping like Dindul suggested -

Hey, It's a large file of a dozen stores in a mall - 166 mgs. I tried importing directly (Max 2014) and I got tired of waiting for 10 minutes and nothing happening so I exported as a .3ds. Everything was given the same material to begin with.

Like I said - this was very simple - but what if you are dealing with a hundred balconies and some components are excluding and some aren't?

I just wanted to get to the bottom of the cause.

Any luck George?

I'm more inclined to believe its some kind of bug really, i use max 2012 however and it seems to work fine most times though i'm testing a scene now and quite curious to see how it turns out with regards to what you described. I'm pretty sure it'll be too much trouble having to make objects unique just so you can exclude them from a light source and cos of the limitation of the number of faces the 3ds can export you'd have to export in some kind of hierachy so you can detach the necessary faces before excluding them (Sheeeesh, even more work!!!). I'll just go with the skp format and repost.

Hey Dindul, No, I just don't have the time to experiment right now. It was very easy to just replace the slab.

Usually I don't have problems other than having to break things up for mapping purposes. It's not a 100% savings of time

but I find I can usually make good use of a provided .skp model. Making design changes to the geometry would be another

matter.