vray sky + vray Dome light (HDRI)

hoseinasadi

i was wondering, when using vray sun in combination with vray dome light with an hdri in texture slot, should the vray sky in the environment slot be enable or not. i mean the scene is already being illuminated by the hdri thru dome light , should the vray sky also illuminate the scene? is that a good combination for interior/exterior lighting?

Don't do that combination, both are there to sample light directly.

Choose only one, depending on the size of the windows:

A)Domelight with HDRi inside (lots of contact with outside)

B)PortalLights with HDRi inside EnvironmentSlot. (apartment with problematic small windows)

Don't do that combination, both are there to sample light directly.

Choose only one, depending on the size of the windows:

A)Domelight with HDRi inside (lots of contact with outside)

B)PortalLights with HDRi inside EnvironmentSlot. (apartment with problematic small windows)

so what i understand from this is that when i use a dome light with HDRI in texture , i dont really need to use sky portals. but when i use the HDRI in the environment slot, i should use sky portals. am i right? one more question , whats the difference when using HDRI in the environment slot instead of dome light?

Yes, like that.

VrayLight[Dome] can directly sample the light rays and has importance sampling, which is very important if your HDRi contains bright spots (so basically, light information). VrayLight[Area=Skylight] will do the same. But environment slot alone won't, because image based lighting isn't set like that in Vray.

Yes, like that.

VrayLight[Dome] can directly sample the light rays and has importance sampling, which is very important if your HDRi contains bright spots (so basically, light information). VrayLight[Area=Skylight] will do the same. But environment slot alone won't, because image based lighting isn't set like that in Vray.

thanks buddy.

• 1 month later...
Yes, like that.

Hey Juraj

can you elaborate on this a bit more? i'm not following.

if you are creating an interior scene, lets say it's daylight (12 noonish) and you have large windows or sliding doors that are visible in the scene and allow you to see outside to a back yard or whatever... if you were using a vray dome light with an HDRI texture, would you instance that HDRI into the environment slot (in order to get an alpha channel - by setting the dome light to invisible) or are you saying that you should leave the environment slot (8 on the keyboard) empty?

if so in which instances would you recommend using the vray skylight portals...?

• 3 months later...

I think it is a smart process in using vray sun with the vray dome light combined with HDRI in texture slot

scene is totally illuminated with vray dome light and HDRI ..

vray sky acts as HDRI reflection map when it is placed in the environment slot ,so it is a background and also light the scene ..

the important thing that I believe in is that it should not be a conflict between HDRI light map and the light colors of the vray sky

i.e for example putting sun set HDRI light map with a set of vray sky & vray sun at noon time of the day .