MR & 3DS: In-pool lighting & volumetrics problem.

DarkenRahl

Hello,

Long time lurker, newbie poster.

I have been trying, to no avail, to create the type of volumetric lighting found in the following reference image:

resort-pool-lights_sm.jpg

I have used multiple water materials, tried both methods of volumetrics, I have even used a transparent, non-reflective material to represent water just for a test and I can't get anything to work. With volumetrics enabled through the parti_volume shader, I can get volumetrics that start at the water's surface, but anything beneath the surface is simply not there.

I have also tried a cube for the water as well as a simple plane. Either way (and with the correct options in the material for planar vs. solid geometry in the water material) gives the same failed result.

The following is the photometric target light with the sun and sky off, first with the water material, second with the material off.

sunoff1.jpg

sunoff2.jpg

I have done a lot of googling, reading, and such. There are a ton of tutorials on underwater scenes, water textures, and volumetric lighting, none of which help with the specific issue I'm trying to wrap my head around.

And the scene file, should anyone want to play with it. It's a basic file so I could play around with settings before I roll it out to the larger project.

pool test.zip

Thanks!

Ismael, the blurring isn't what I want, although your point is valid. If your attachments are renderings, how did you get the lights under the water surface to show as they do?

Marius, you are correct most of the time, but considering the instructions are typically "Move that camera 1 foot to the left." after the photoshop has been done, getting it done in render (since I have access to a render farm) saves time, albeit counter intuitively.

Chris, that's a nice effect, but not what I'm after. I tried caustics and got a similar effect, but isn't what I want. I appreciate it, though.

Basically, the only light I can get to be perceptible under a water surface is a self illuminating piece of geometry, and then the geometry shows up, but the lighting effect does not.

They work just fine from the surface of the water and beyond, but they show nothing beneath the water surface. The two images in my initial post use the parti volume shader. The second has no water surface and the light volume is visible to the point source. The first has the water surface which interrupts and hides the volumetrics under the water's surface.

• 2 weeks later...