Glass Refraction/Fog Issue

landrvr1

I've been tweaking my glass settings for a recent project and have discovered a refraction problem. Basically, objects close to the glass are causing black refraction spots on my glass. As I remove those objects, the problem starts to go away. Been tweaking my settings but can't fix the issue.

Reflections have been completely turned off to narrow down the problem. Turning the fog multiplier to zero solves the issue, but I need the fog....

EDIT. actually, the problem remains when camera is at a different angle.

Boo.

Would love some thoughts:

glassProblem4.JPG

glassProblem1.JPG

glassProblem2.JPG

glassProblem3.JPG

Edited by landrvr1

Well, I found a quasi fix. The original glass panes were made from a standard Max box - which I've never had an issue with in the past. I recreated them as planes, but with the 'shell' modifier applied, and the problem went away. Bizarre.

Yeah I don't understand it... At first I applied a bevel to the glass panes using the quad chamfer plug. That seemed to fix the problem until I did a test render in another part of the pane and the problem was still there - just in a different area. Then I thought it was fixed via making the glass thicker. Again, it seemed to work until I tested on a different pane and the issue was still there. Very strange.

Have you tried a more basic glass material?

You are using a Falloff Map to drive the reflection and that will play into how the fog acts.

Try just a 0 Black diffuse, a 255 White Reflection, IOR of 1.8, Fog color of choice with a multiplier of like 0.003 or there abouts and then use a slightly less than perfect refraction, say 245 White.

Falloff Maps make all kinds of mistakes, especially when they are set to 0 and/or 255. If the about works, try a falloff with 5 and/or 250.

This is just my guess at the issue.

• 4 weeks later...