Realistic Glass Reflctions

hoseinasadi

Hi,

ive been wondering what i could possibly do to make my window glass below, to look more realistic and believable. as you can see my glass looks pretty much flat and nothing near realism :

JjcQlcx.jpg

i wanna achieve something like the image below:

kks0e9T.jpg

how do i get nice reflections in the glass so it looks more realistic? should simulate reflections by adding vray plane lights or put an image into a plane so it gets reflected in the glass?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nice reflections show up when you have something nice that the camera can reflect. I suggest modelling something. If not, you could try putting a hdri or something in the reflection override or reflection slot of your glass material. Just make sure your camera is tilted a bit up when looking at the glass, so that it reflects the sky.

Nice reflections show up when you have something nice that the camera can reflect. I suggest modelling something. If not, you could try putting a hdri or something in the reflection override or reflection slot of your glass material. Just make sure your camera is tilted a bit up when looking at the glass, so that it reflects the sky.

thanks for the solution. one quick question tho, if i put an HDRI in reflection override slot, that HDRI wouldnt inflict with the HDRI i already have in dome light? i mean by adding an HDRI in reflection override id only be getting reflections from the HDRI file and it wouldnt illuminate the scene?

Firstly you should start by setting up a realistic glass material, and understand the physics behind it too. What are your material settings?

Secondly your image is looking down at the window, meaning that the reflections it is picking up is the pure black of the bottom of the HDRI; not exactly awe inspiring. Position the camera lower, and look up at the window and try the same render. I bet you start picking up sky reflections.

Edited by Macker

Firstly you should start by setting up a realistic glass material, and understand the physics behind it too. What are your material settings?

Secondly your image is looking down at the window, meaning that the reflections it is picking up is the pure black of the bottom of the HDRI; not exactly awe inspiring. Position the camera lower, and look up at the window and try the same render. I bet you start picking up sky reflections.

here's my glass settings :

JsrYJzi.jpg

so what would be the best settings to achieve a realistic glass material? plus is there any trick i could do in order to get a glass shader like the reference image? i love the reflections in there? how can i fake those without having to go thru modeling? putting an HDRI in override slot wouldnt really cut it , or perhaps im not using the right HDRI ?

Pretty good staring point for a glass material, though I don't know what you've got in the diffuse.

Anyway, there is nothing wrong with what you have. Your glass currently has nothing in the scene or HDRI to reflect. Either you put something in there to reflect I.e geometry or spherical HDRI or you adjust your camera angle so that it reflects the sky.

Your reference photo is a small window with a dark interior, no curtains; this is why it appears dark. Your scene has white curtains receiving direct light and thus it looks light.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

The reference image glass clearly has some residue on it, so you would need masks, hand painted if you want optimal appearance, to get the same effect. This mask would serve a dual purpose for stopping reflection where the dirt and grime appear, also for adjusting the diffuse appearance where the dirt and grime appear. This residue would also only appear on the outside face of the glass and would only show very slight reflection in the glass if the window is multi-pane.

Pretty good staring point for a glass material, though I don't know what you've got in the diffuse.

Anyway, there is nothing wrong with what you have. Your glass currently has nothing in the scene or HDRI to reflect. Either you put something in there to reflect I.e geometry or spherical HDRI or you adjust your camera angle so that it reflects the sky.

Your reference photo is a small window with a dark interior, no curtains; this is why it appears dark. Your scene has white curtains receiving direct light and thus it looks light.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

so if id wanna emphasis on reflections i should make the interior darker, right? cause i think to make a realistic glass, i should focus on the reflections more than other elements.

In the refraction slot make the fog color a bit darker, but not too much, it's very sensitive. Put some objects near the glass to see whether the objects will be reflected.

i set the fog color to dark grey and bumped up the fog multiplier to 2. reflections are more visible now. i wish i could simulate nice realistic reflections in there tho.

lMYcgmr.jpg

so if id wanna emphasis on reflections i should make the interior darker, right? cause i think to make a realistic glass, i should focus on the reflections more than other elements.

When the light inside the room = the light falling on the objects that we desire to reflect, there will be no reflection. At night indoors with the lights turned on, you stand in front of your window whose other side faces the dark of night, you see your reflection as if the window was a mirror. At midday with bright daylight outside, your reflection (the one you had the previous night) would be gone.

Edit:

http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education/energy_conservation/energy_conservation.htm

http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education/reflection_highlight/reflection_highlight.htm

Make sure to visit http://www.neilblevins.com

:)

Edited by Ismael
Add information

When the light inside the room = the light falling on the objects that we desire to reflect, there will be no reflection. At night indoors with the lights turned on, you stand in front of your window whose other side faces the dark of night, you see your reflection as if the window was a mirror. At midday with bright daylight outside, your reflection (the one you had the previous night) would be gone.

Edit:

http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education/energy_conservation/energy_conservation.htm

http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education/reflection_highlight/reflection_highlight.htm

Make sure to visit http://www.neilblevins.com

:)

thanks. very informative.